Video Card Upgrade and PSU help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamree

Okay, so I just bought a new computer for gaming purposes, and I need to upgrade the computer's graphics card in order to play most of the PC games I want to buy. I already know which card I want to get, but I want to make sure it can be installed into my computer before I decide to buy it.

Video Card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241063

Computer- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8399299&type=product&id=1179877502628

I also would like to know if there would be anything else I would need to buy after upgrading my comp's video card, especially if I'll need to get a bigger PSU or something else. If you need more information, just tell me what you need and I'll try to post it here.

I would wait till you have the system before buying the card. Two things you need to check:
1.will it fit in your case?
2.power supply-you will most likely need a more powerful one with the proper connections needed for the card and is compatable with your mobo and will fit

Research the card to find out what you need to know so you know what you're looking for

You'd need a new PSU with at least 30A on the +12V rail(s). Brands such as Antec, CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, Silverstone, Corsair, Fortron FSP and Enermax are great. BTW, it'd be better if you were building your own PC innit? BestBuy is quite a ripoff, or so I've heard.

C'mon, Rage, he already bought the PC. Cut him some slack. :)

kpo6969, makes a good point about the fit. That graphics card will take up two expansion slot spaces at the back of the PC. Make sure you have the room OR make sure you can reposition any cards that might be in the way. Also, open the case and see if it can accommodate the length of the card without hitting anything. I think it's 230mm long.

I should point out that your PC has Windows Vista which supports DirectX 10 but the graphics card you want does not (it supports DirectX 9). You don't have to get a DX 10 compatible card but it's something to consider.

Good thought mailpup, was thinking about the DX10 stuff, since he did mention he wants to play games. You might want to consider buying a dx10 card, like a 8800 gts 320, would perform better than the card you picked out, and its not super hard on the pockets either.

Lol, yep, I already bought the system. From Circuit City, too, seeing how it's nearly $80 less there (not sure if I trust them as much, though). Already thought about building my own computer, but decided the hassle wasn't worth it quite yet and just went and bought this computer with the intention of upgrading the video card. Thanks for the ideas on the PSU, and I guess I'll have to do some more research to find out if the card I want will fit or not, so hopefully it does.

Yeah, I thought about going with DX 10, but decided to stay with DX 9 for now, since most games play on it right now and I would have to spend quite a bit more money to get a good quality DX 10 card.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Suggestion
Open the case when you get it and see what room, available slots,etc you have.
Look at the label on the psu
-find wattage
-maximum combined watts on the 12v
-divide that # by 12
-that figure is what you use to find a compatable card that will work, besides if it will fit or not

Oh yeah, I'm going to need a new PSU. My current one is 250 Watts max, with 14A on the +12V rail. So what type of PSU am I looking at as of right now for my video card and comp? Rage already made the suggestion of 30A along with some brands, but what about overall Wattage? Would something like 450W be enough?

If someone could make a specific suggestion, that would help. I'm trying to keep the price low on the PSU, though, seeing how I'm already spending $200 on the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back