Video Card Upgrade/ Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a 3DFX Voodoo5 5500 64MB AGP video card. I upgraded from Windows 98SE to XP Home recently when I built myself a new system. I started from scratch with new hard drives which means I didn't upgrade from 98SE. I had my Voodoo5 5500 set up perfectly with my old system and it ran great with games and videos. When I installed the card into my new system, it has never run like it did on the old system. In fact, I'm only showing 32MB of memory in dxdiag for this card. For the life of me, I don't know, I'm not an expert....yet. Maybe there aren't any drivers specific to XP? If I would've upgraded from 98SE to XP, maybe the drivers would carry over? I have tried drivers from everywhere and my video still isn't the same as it was with 98SE.

I am now thinking of upgrading to a 128MB card. I have a few choices because I got a $130 gift card from Best Buy for Xmas, which prompted the upgrade. I have researched these cards and all seem to have their own flaws, but I don't want to spend too much, under $150. I play games and watch videos, but I would say that I don't do it alot. I'm not hard core, so I don't need too much. Max Payne is my game of choice. Here are the cards I'm considering. They are all in my price range.

- ATI Radeon 9200 128MB DDR AGP
- BFG Asylum GeForce FX 5200 256MB AGP
- eVGA GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP
- PNY GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP

I have a Soyo KT-333 Dragon Ultra Platinum with AGP Pro slot. I'm not too familiar with AGP specs. yet, but I was leaning towards the PNY or ATI, but the PNY is AGP 8x. Will that work even though I have a mobo with AGP Pro 1x 2x 4x ?

I just want a good, inexpensive card that will produce. I'm tired of searching for 3DFX drivers. Any help on AGP knowledge and video card preferences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

I know this is a wee bit past your limit, but I just did a Pricewatch on an ATI 9600XT (which from what I understand is a pretty sweet card) and it came in at $154 shipped. Might be worth checking out. I'm kind of partial to ATI so maybe we can get some input from nVidia gurus here as well.

BTW, welcome with your first post to TechSpot! :grinthumb

more memory does not = better card.

A 64MB Geforce4Ti 4200 is a better card than all those listed (except the R9600XT), followed closely by an ATI RADEON R8500...just not much difference between 64 and 128MB versions.....

Under $100, the Ti4200 is a great choice, and the R9600XT around $150 is a great choice as well...I'd avoid the FX5200, and avoid the R9200, instead go for an R8500/9100 (R8500 and R9100 are the same core, the R9000/9200 are the same core, the R8500/9100 are a bit better)

Thanks for the input guys. So, none of the cards I listed are recommended? I guess I was thinking more memory would be better and since I have a Voodoo5 5500 64MB, I thought I would upgrade to something with more memory. I loved that card when I was running 98SE, but when I installed it to my new XP system, it hasn't performed like it should. It's only showing as a 32MB card in system information. I wish I could figure the Voodoo5 out, but I'm beyond frustrated trying to find "good" drivers that will allow it to peform good with XP.

My mobo has AGP Pro 1x, 2x ,4x; will an 8x card work on my mobo? I am confused with AGP. Can someone explain?

What do you think about the ATI 9600SE? What's the difference between the SE & ST? Best Buy has it on sale for $129. As you can tell, I'm trying to buy from Best Buy because I have a gift card for $130. Thanks again for your help guys.

get that 9600SE if you have the gift card. the SE's are slower than the pro's and the XT's. but for the game you listed and how much you play it will perform very well. and later if need be you could overclock it.

avoid the R9600SE...the R8500, GF4Ti4200, and R9100 are all faster.

If you go R9600, go R9600TX. The R9600TX is a fine card:grinthumb

I would recommend a Radeon 9600 Pro or GeForce4 Ti 4200. They are both great cards and fairly cheap for the amount of performance they give.

Just for my 2 cents... if it weren't for the giftcard, I would send you straight to newegg.com.... best prices i've seen, 256mb FX 5700LE for $98 i think.

Oh, and as for the memory and AGP issues- yes, an 8x card should work, and they usually can be turned down 4x if needed, check that out while you're looking.. also, try looking in your BIOS settings for "AGP Aperture Size" or something like that and try tinkering with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back