Video Card xtravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new here, just hoping someone has heard something I have not.

I bought a new computer around christmas (HP a1250n) and slapped in a radeon X700 256MB card for an immediate upgrade. (Also upgraded my sound card to a Soundblaster Live! 24-bit)

Until now, I've had no problems with the system or the card.

Now, however, when I start up a 3d game, and acceleration is needed it will play for awhile, then suddenly go to a black screen and hang. (Tested it with City of Heroes, World of Warcraft and EQ2.)

Now, I haven't changed anything on my computer aside from installing a few programs that have no bearing on anything. I've scanned for viruses using Trend Micro's House Call, I've checked for disk errors, defragged; etc. Turned down video card acceleration. Still nothing.

Just wondering, before I ship this thing off the manufacturer, is there anything else I need to check?

It IS possible someone messed with something, since my computer has become the defacto "communal" computer since I live with 4 other people...but I doubt it. People know I will beat them within an inch of their life if they mess with anything. But if they did, and I cannot find it, I need to figure out what was "tweaked".

Did you uninstall the existing Video Card Driver B4 installing the better one (if it had a card)? Are you using the latest ATI Drivers & DX9c?

The 2 most likely candidates would be the RAM & the Card itself.

Run Memtest to determine if the RAM is ok.

Try setting the BIOS to defaults - or optimised defaults if it has it.

look in the ATI Catalyst control panel and ensure no one has overclocked the card.

That'll eliminate most factors.

Latest Omega Drivers, they just run cleaner. (I only upgraded to the latest when I started having trouble.) DirectX upgraded as well. As to the overclocking, I should double check that, but I don't suspect it.

So otherwise it could just be a bad card you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back