Video Converter Apps Crash In Xp Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend2u

I have an app called X Video Converter that has been excellent in converting, various video formats (mpeg > avi) (avi > mpeg) including joins and splits etc. After using it for about 6 mos all of a sudden it will crash with a reminder from windows that "there is a problem and X Video Converter must close". I have been emailing back and forth with support for the software and they have had me try uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting codecs and downloading specific ones etc. I decided to try another Video Converter on a trial basis and after downloading it I got the same error message. It seems to be affecting only video converters since my audio converters function nicely. I had downloaded Windows Medial Player 10 and thought that might have been the problem so I converted back to Media Player 9 and still had the problem.

Has anyone had experience with app crashes of this sort with XP ? I am at my wits end !

Do you think WMP10 uninstalled itself completely without leaving any new files (like DRM libraries) behind? I don't. I'd try a restore point before its installation date if I was you.

Unfortunately

I looked at my restore points and the furthest point back is the day (5 Oct) when I installed WMP 10, so I figured what the heck I will try to restore and it told me that it was unable to restore so I tried 13 Oct and the same result
"cannot restore this point". So I sort of gave up on that although that makes me now wonder what is wrong with the restore points ! (sigh)

I suppose I could try a complete recovery but would like other alternatives !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back