TechSpot

Video Playback _ No Menus

By chocobogo_rct
Sep 9, 2002
  1. Is there a program out there that will let you play back movies e.g. mpeg, avi etc.. in just a plain window, with no status bar, or buttons or file bar, i'm just wondering as it would look a lot better when playing movie files

Cheers

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Certainly if you full screen them... in anything (say The Playa or Windows Media Player) you don't get any of that.... Is that what you meant? Or do you want a windowed player with no controls ?

3. chocobogo_rct

chocobogo_rct TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 108

I realize in full screen all the menus go, like when playing a DVD, but what I was wondering was whether there was a bit of software like the Playa or WindowMedia Player, that had an option to run a video of say 352x240 in its original resolution with no menus.

Cheers

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I'm not sure about Window$ but there are apps like that for other operating systems.. :)

5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Like what Mic? I still haven't gotten that deep into Nix yet, and am curious.

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

For Linux (ports for FreeBSD &c also available): mplayer, vlc, Xine. They all launch the video file in separate window that has no menus. Actually, now that I think of it, there's a Win32 port of vlc (VideoLAN client) too. I'm not sure how it behaves though. For BeOS, there's vlc, MPEG Player.. possibly MediaPlayer in minimized mode works like that too, I'll check..

7. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Use PowerDVD. You can just close the menu(s) and flip the window size up and down to your liking.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.