TechSpot

Video shows IE9's GPU acceleration crushing Safari 5

By Matthew
Jun 8, 2010
  1. Hoping to swipe a little wind from Apple's sails, Microsoft has posted a video comparing the next version of Internet Explorer to Safari 5. Despite being lauded as the swiftest browser under the sun, Safari 5 fails to trump IE9's graphics hardware acceleration in the demonstration clip embedded below. Mind you, IE9 is still in a pre-release state, so who knows where the finished product will stand, but things can only improve.

Read the whole story

2. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

Not exactly a fair and unbiased comparison... Microsoft's browser showing a video that requires Microsoft's Silverlight video component... Little bit of stacking the deck there, wouldn't you say?

But, then again, any time Apple gets their "we are the best" attitude thrown back in their face is a great day in my world, so I won't complain too loudly :)

3. jink

jink TS Rookie Posts: 23

IE9? Never heard of it. Does Microsoft still make browsers? How well does this IE9 run on OSX?

4. paynetrain007

paynetrain007 TS Rookie Posts: 88

But again Silverlight is a new standard. Just like Flash. I would expect any half decent browser to be able to run it well. I prolly wont use IE9 Chrome and Firefox are still the best out there. But any time Apple is proven that they're products are junk and Microsoft's are superior its a good day in the neighborhood.

5. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 530   +37

Well for one it's using GPU Acceleration. Lord knows what sort of GPU is in that thing and how it's been optimized to use it. For two, by the time IE9 comes out, it'll still technically sort of be yesterdays news. WIRED.com had a good article about this. Its not that Microsoft can't build a fantastic web browser, its just that their model doesn't seem to allow them too. Look at the kinds of speeds browsers such as Chrome 5/6 and Opera are pulling out without any type of GPU acceleration. What do you think they'll be like when and if they adopt a similar tactic? And what sort of GPU's will IE9 work on? No one asks that question. Integrated? Dedicated? Direct X 9? 10? 11? Open GL? Etc.

BTW, I'm not really an IE8 bashing type of guy. I use it often for certain tasks (Work related) and its not a bad browser just in case you were thinking I was hating.

6. OpenCL

7. So, Microsofts unreleased piece of software is better than Apple's current and shipping software? In other news, AMD's unreleased processor from the future is better than Intels current and shpping CPU's.

8. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

I don't know what all the hype is about Safari/Chrome. So many websites run like crap on them; they are just oversimplified. They are never gonna replace my Firefox, and IE will always be around since so many (like 20%?) websites simply REQUIRE this.

9. fwilliams

fwilliams TS Rookie Posts: 99

Well thank gooness is is only about 20% of websites that require IE. It use to be about 90%. Hopefully in the future any website will work with any browser.

10. paynetrain007

paynetrain007 TS Rookie Posts: 88

I agree Firefox is my preferred browser but I've started only using it for certain tasks because its slow and is a memory HOG.

11. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

12. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,268   +92

Thanks for the note 9Nails, I've swapped the links in the post.

13. You do know Firefox has a much much better memory management than Chrome, right? Lol It's all a placebo effect.

14. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Booster Posts: 224   +7

Not GPGPU, graphics rendering.

15. Doesn't matter how fast you make IE, I still won't use for anything, it sucks and is more unsecure then any browser out there.

16. Hey! I can post as a guest and say stuff sucks!!! Why? Well I dunno why either.

17. It's only the video recording of two browsers being tested that is in Silverlight format. The test suite itself is HTML5.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.