TechSpot

Video Upgrade

By cslord15
Apr 3, 2004
  1. I've been pretty content with my GeForce4 Ti4200 for a while, but I think it's time for an upgrade. Now I realize that my computer isn't all that recent (still has 4x AGP and single channel memory) but I want to put in a new video card. Newer games like Far Cry and Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow haven't been running at playable framerates - I've had to turn resolutions and details down to the point where the game looks like crap. I want the game to look decent and run that way as well. Any suggestions on a cheap video card that'll give me a boost in performance? The rest of my specs can be found below...

2. snowman

snowman TS Rookie Posts: 312

how much are you willing to spend? the OEM radeon 9800 pro at www.newegg.com for around $210 is a steal. and that card is top of the line right now. so it should play all those games very well.

3. cslord15

cslord15 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

Yeah my budget was around $150-200 so that 9800 seems nice. I want something that'll give a substantial increase despite the 4x AGP and single channel memory... will the 9800 be worth it?

4. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 422

yeh, a 9800 pro will give you ALOT of a speed boost.....and dual channel memoy doesnt make a great deal of difference on Athlon XPs anyway.

Steg

5. h_pavon

h_pavon TS Rookie Posts: 91

go for the ATI9800 Pro, I've seen Far Cry run smooth in a system with the same cpu & ram as yours.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.