Video won't stream from internet

Mark Fuller

I have an old compaq presario 6350us desktop with wxp and a 2.4 ghz processor and it has a choppy video when streaming from the internet, either videos from youtube or tv shows from websites like cbs.com. I was just wondering the processor is not enough to stream from the internet. It plays videos and dvds all right. It just won't stream from the internet in any way. It has an nvidia 6400gs pci graphics card and 1gb ram.

I'd start by checking out your internet connection speed. You'll find a few helpful sites able to do that for you if you search. My hardware is hardly impressive but at 5Mb it works OK for streaming. 1Gb of ram isn't much these days though.

Downstream speed 14.74, upstream 0.89. And now sometimes the videos from windows media player are choppy. I think it has something to do with the processor.

It's pretty ancient, maybe 12 years old, so it's not worth spending much on. Unfortunately, the 1Gb ram is as much as you can install. I wouldn't think the processor was the problem. There are integrated graphics on the motherboard so you presumably upgraded to a separate nVidia 6400gs. Perhaps you could improve on that but be careful. Fitting super duper graphics cards in old computers never turns out well. The computer will have the old fashioned pci slot whereas the standard these days is completely different - PCI-e (express). There's not going to be a lot of choice.

Maybe it's time to replace your desktop.

It's got to be close to being able to do the job but not quite there. Suppose you install the leanest AV software you can to reduce the load and also find any programs that are running in the background. If you can stop unnecessary stuff from starting up and running you may find that leaves enough oomph to improve video streaming. Running msconfig will enable you to check that out. Easiest is to install CCleaner (free) and use it's Start up utility. This won't cost you any money or take very long to try out.

I noticed that whenever I move the mouse it automatically skips so I installed a wireless and the problem persisted. Now I notice that whenever I stream or move the mouse while trying to stream there is a spike in cpu usage. Sometimes it happens with windows media player too.

Last edited:
CCleaner just makes it easier to do what is usually done with msconfig ie control the stuff that starts up with Windows and uses resources you need for your main task - streaming. Look in the CCIeaner interface for Tools then click the Startup tab.

Is streaming better if you connect to the router with an internet cable instead of wireless? Google Chrome is supposed to be the fastest browser so you might want to try that too.

I'm out of suggestions on this one. It's time to recycle it. I don't think it's going to be of much use to anybody.

Last thought. You said moving the mouse causes a spike in CPU usage. It makes no difference in my situation so that doesn't seem right. Try plugging in another mouse or let the video stream and sit on your mouse hand. If that doesn't work then hit it with a lump hammer. Remember to disconnect it from the mains first. :)

Back