Inactive Virus Removal Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

12cuerdas

Hi I am new to this forum. I have a windows xp laptop that I was having a virus issue. I ran malwarebytes several times and it caught several virus but the problem would not stop(redirecting sites on google). I also ran Microsoft Malicious removal tool and it did the same thing. I have Webroot antivirus and spy sweeper. After all this happen I got tired of these problems and I used the CD that came with the laptop to reinstall the whole system.The problem of redirecting websites seems to have gone away. Now after reading all these threads I am afraid maybe the virus still lives in my laptop. Is there a software I can run. Please advice me.

If you did a reformat/reinstall of the operating system, any prior malware should be gone. However, if you backed up any files before this, if any were infected and you put them back on the system, they could cause a reinfection.

I can have you do an online virus scan or run the preliminary virus and malware removes steps we use. Your choice:

For online AV scan:
Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus scan HEREhttp://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
  1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  4. Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  5. Click Start
  6. Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  7. Click Scan
  8. Wait for the scan to finish
  9. Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  10. A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.
================================
If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Either way, I would need to see the logs. Please paste any logs into your next reply- use more than one posts if needed.

This is the log I got.

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
# version=7
# iexplore.exe=8.00.6001.18702 (longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6211
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=b3b0b1674c608e419737c539f1689d77
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=false
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2010-10-12 02:36:49
# local_time=2010-10-11 07:36:49 (-0800, Pacific Daylight Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=9
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 0 0 0 0
# scanned=57910
# found=0
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=3404

I would want to continue. Also my computer came with mcafee secuity and i made the mistake of installing a Webroot antivirus & spy sweeper t(which just expired and have to renew. Which I dont want to renew) the first day I reinstalled the whole system. I also installed Microsoft security essentials since I read is a good AV software.

For now, make sure there is one updated antivirus program running. Use one of these free ones if the paid ones have expired:
Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
Avira Free
Avast Home

Please reboot the system after the installation is complete.

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, paste the logs for review in your next reply .

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back