Vista 32-bit doesn't like my 3GB upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I added 2 gb to my acer aspire m1500 w/dual core processor. instead of vista x64;I got two 32-bit vista's on my desktop pc. I would upgrade to vista ultimate and add another gb if I could, but not before 20 people come for xmas eve and only if one of them have a spare program in their pocket. Is there anything I can do? (I am trying to learn, and have spent a week trying to research and figure it all out.)

I also can't drive my wheel chair in the snow to best buy. If I have totally blown it, please let me know. I still have an old palm pilot to look up phone numbers.

Happy Hoildays,
mammananny

Ok, your post kinda confused me.
What is the computer doing since the memory upgrade? Nothing? Not powering? No video? Beeping?
So you have two different loads of Vista on it? Weird
The maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3GB.

5GB was the answer

thanks for at least feeling sorry for me. my husband bought another gband added it to my already big mess. because of the dual core, the computer saw it as an upgrade to 64 bit Vvsta instead of 32. (I thought you couldn't do that!} I changed the volume in two partitions. now I have windows vista in one system and xp in the other. I was left with an extra 7 gb in the third partition.that was a lot of work jsut to end up with IE8 beta as one default browser, and firefox 3.0.4 as another!
mammananny

nothings blown, you have a corrupt partition (duplicated). Use a program like partition magic, or go into the control panel and use disc management to eliminate the partition you don't want and distribute that space to your remaining partition(s) as you see fit. Can be a little tricky, but it's not that difficult.

If you added RAM to your system, then you must understand ALL 32 bit OSes out there cannot access more than 4 GB. Your system will use some system memory leaving you around 3GB max for usage. With XP anything over 1gb is overkill. Vista 32bit manages memory a little better (not much) and can really use all 3gb, but 2gb is plenty for most.

64bit versions of operating systems can access WAY more than 8gb of memory, but the drawback is few software can take advantage of or run in a 64bit environment unless it is written for it or there is a translator in the OS.

Your question was highly confusing. You must really be specific with your issues here to get help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back