Vista and wireless network problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettyboop911

Have had nothing but problems with new computer and wireless networks. Get messages like "problem with network adapter on this computer" and sometimes re-starting the computer helps but not always.

Any ideas?

Without any more definitive information it is almost impossible to give a definitive answer. However, it sounds like your wireless network card is defective. Since it is new I would take it back and tell them to fix it.

I took the computer back and they reset the IP address or something. It worked for half a day and each time the computer is idle, I cannot access the internet unless I restart the computer.

I'd take it back immediately and tell them exactly what you told us. It sounds like a hardware issue and even the PC is telling you there is problems with the Network Adapter unless of course they need to install new drivers. Either way they've got to fix it.

It won't let me access certain things also, like downloading updates on spyware (Adaware) and downloading Comcast's free McAfee.

some basics for you Betty:
1- update the firmware of your router and
2- the wireless card driver on the pc

these are the most frequent issues.

take note of 2.4ghz wireless telephone usage (or cell phones) when you're having problems.

using mixed vendors for router/wireless adapters can be difficult sometimes when encryption is active -- disable it for testing.

change the default channel to number 11 to avoid nearby interference from other systems.

Jobeard: does it sound more like setup/software problems than hardware? (BTW, I have no idea how to do the things you listed; are they in the network and sharing center somewhere? -this is a VIsta compouter)

(you need an internet connection to download the new wireless driver)
Code:
2- the wireless card driver on the pc
use control panel->Admin Tools->Computer Mgmt->Device Mgr
find the Network Adapter and the device under it; right click->properties
and click the DRIVER tab. click Update Driver

(you need an internet connection to download the new router firmware)

Code:
1- update the firmware of your router 
disable encryption 
change the default channel to number 11 to avoid nearby interference from other systems.
these are in the router config.
wire a connection from the router to the system; use your browser to access the
configuration pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back