Vista Home Premium keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Anyone help..........I have a MSI PT8 Neo Mother board, a 2.6GHz Processor, 512 Ram, A NVidia GeForce FX5200 Video Card. I recently updated to Vista Home Premium, The problem was that I had a 512mb card plus a 256mb card after the Initial startup if I shut down the computer it would keep rebooting. Thinking that I had a faulty memory card I ordered a 1 gig card, a ddr 400, when it arrived I installed this card as well as a 256 ddr 400. It still rebooted, after pressing f8 I started the computer in last known good config. After stopping the reboot procedure so I could read the blue screen it said that I had the PFN list was corrupted, with these errors,.....C:\windows\minidump\mini04137-01.dmp
C:\users\Ron\AppData\local\temp\wer-58046-0sysdata.xml
C:\users\Ron\appdata\local\temp\wer608A.tmp.version.txt.
However since cutting my ram back to 512mb the computer does not reboot. Could it be the Video Card

I would try putting just 1 stick of RAM in at a time. See if it only happens w/ 1 of the sticks, or only during certain combinations. Also make sure you always put the ram sticks in bank zero when doing this.

I have just purchased a video card NVidia GEForce 5200 thinking that was causing the problem, it still rebooted with 1300mg of ram, before installing this it has been running fine with only 512mg of ram, I'm about to try running 1Gig of ram and see what happens...........Thanks Guys

Just tried 1 gig still rebooted I'm now thinking the Mother Board is not up to scratch, it's running fine at 512mg

Run memtest on the sticks individually. Its much more likely that RAM is bad rather than the motherboard.

SNGX1275............Downloaded Memtest and ran it as it took hours to scan I was in and out checking on it's process. After 5 hours I came in to find my computer had crashed or rebooted and it was on the blue screen with the fault described, so I don't know if the memory was ok or not, thanks anyway I'll just keep searching.

It looks like it might have been a setting in the bios, I'm running 1300Mg of ram and it's still going thanks to my son cheers.

New HP laptop keeps rebboting after automatic Vista update

My wife has a brand ned HP laptop:
HP_PAVILION_DV6707U S_ENTE RTAINMENT Notebook PC 1.9 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-57 CPU • 2 GB (2x1 GB) RAM

Windows Vista Home Premium came factory installed, apparently with some Vista update set to "Update automatically). Result: the laptop keeps rebooting all the time without her ever being able to get into the system.
Did they try a practical Catch 22 joke in the OS?

maybe a faulty hdd or a stuffed up windows file preventing you from getting to the desktop..

Can you boot into safe mode?

if you can't try this:
turn on the laptop, and press F11 when the HP logo comes on. It should boot into the diagnostic/recovery tool.
it will pop up with some HP recovery tool thing, look for an option to repair windows startup (maybe under advanced button). Its the same program as if you put in a windows vista cd and selected the recovery tool from it.

Also there is an option to recover your laptop to factory conditions.. i'd think you'd like to avoid this unless you've already backed up your data and have no regrets..

its been a while since i've troubleshooted a hp pc so thats a bit fuzzy. Its under warranty so you should call your local HP callcenter and get them to step by step fix you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back