Vista restarts when i open any of my drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bellb

Well today i turned on my laptop (I'm on Vista) and i went to open my C Drive but i got an error message and it said that vista had to restart, that took 5 seconds but i cannot get into my C Drive without the error message appearing so I went to open my D Drive and i get the same thing with that aswell as my External F Drive, i then ran a Virus scan and that crashed half way through looking through the F Drive, i turned it back on and plugged my Portable Flash device in and i still go the error message, so i cannot access ANY drive on my laptop. But i can open My Documents, My Pictures and My Music with no problems but i just cannot open the drives directly.
I have just started another virus scan but i still don't know if it will solve the issue, please give me any tips or advice you can, please
Thanks

Your system may be infected with malware.

Download this TOOL. Extract it and run the Noob_kill.

Hopefully, it`ll run on Vista.

Please let me know the results.

Regards Howard :)

That might work but i downloaded it and my desktop kept restarting over and over and i couldnt stop it and i couldnt delete it but i managed to open my Command Line and delete it from there, so thanks it might of worked but my computer wont allow new files on the desktop either

No i still have nothing, it found a few problems but i fixed them and i still cannot access my drives

I have just noticed something else aswell, when i go into one of my drives my hard drive makes a noise, it woulds like a clickey ish type noise, it does about 6-7 click but extremely fast, like when you get a stick and scrape it along a metal fence, like that but faster, then after that it then restarts the vista desktop, hope this helps a little more

Noises like that from a laptop hard drive can mean the drive is dying. I should backup your data if you can and consider the merits of getting it repaired under warranty. If you have any doubts about the drive, don't trust it's reliability.

Clicking noises from the hard drive are a sign of hard drive failure.

As AlbertLionheart quite rightly says, you should backup your important data immediately.

The chances are, you`ll need to replace the drive.

Regards Howard :)

Yes, at first i did consider that fact but i dont understand why and other external drive i plug in doesnt work either, I can use the Command Line Interface and i have coppied all my files to the external but i cannot get to them buy using the GUI, even when i plug a flash stick in my laptop, it doesnt open with vista saying error and then restarting the desktop
So it might be that hard drive but can one hard drive make all the others not work?

If a hard drive is failing it will probably stop the OS loading properly. A bad OS has all sorts of domino effects so could well be the reason for your not being able to access external drives. Have you connected the drives to another PC to check them?

Thank you everyone but I have noe resolved the issue by reseting windows and that seems to have worked so far, the only problem now is reinstalling all the programs again LOL
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back