TechSpot

Vista x64, 8 gigs of RAM showing as only 4 gigs in Sys Inf

By HaLo2FrEeEk
Sep 15, 2008
  1. I recently upgraded from 4 to 8 GB of RAM in my Windows Vista Ultimate x64 machine. I was happy for a while seeing 8.00 GB in System Properties for the RAM. Then I opened up system information and saw this:

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory: 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory: 5.07 GB
    Total Virtual Memory: 16.1 GB
    Available Virtual Memory: 13.2 GB

Shouldn't "Total Physical Memory" read 8.00 GB as well. I thought that my computer was justso fast with the 4 GB installed that I wasn't seeing in improvement with the 8 GB, now I realize that Windows was just reporting what was physically there, not what was usable. How can I make all 8 GB show up, this really pisses me off. I know I only spent $160 on the 8 GB, but it's money I could have not spent if it's not all going to be used.

Someone please help me out with this, I don't know if it's a setting I need to change in my BIOS, or a jumper or whatever (there are very few, and I mean like, 1, jumpers on my Mobo). Anyways, can someone please tell me how I can fix this.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Have you installed Vista, SP1? Is the new 4GB memory compatible with your motherboard. It is the same brand and type as the original 4GB?

3. HaLo2FrEeEk

HaLo2FrEeEk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 225

I have SP1 installed, and the memory is compatible. All the modules are the same, I had 4x1GB and I took them out and put in 4x2GB.

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Defective motherboard?

5. HaLo2FrEeEk

HaLo2FrEeEk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 225

Uhm, nom otherwise you'd think something else would not work. It's reporting that all 8 gigs of RAM are there, but that only 4 are usable, that's a wrong setting somewhere, but I couldn't find it in the BIOS setup anywhere, and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I've had this mobo for a year now and nothing's gone wrong with it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.