TechSpot

Visual basic

By coastymad
Nov 3, 2005
  1. Hello I am thinking of getting into visual basic but it's too expensive for me (yes I'm a tight little ****) but does anyone know of a freeware clone of it at all. thanks.

2. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Excel had it's own version of VB, as far as the coding goes it's all the same, you can even run class modules etc from it. A good starting point to learn VB coding. Obviously you can't make executables with it though.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You don't need any special tools to make VB scripts - Notepad will do.

Why on earth would anyone want to learn VB is beyond me though :p

4. kirock

of course you can type C++ commands into notepad too, but if you want to run your code and see what it does etc. you need an application program. Also Excel VB will give him a chance to learn the proper command structure.

5. coastymad

coastymad TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 103

I've heard of a program called "speed basic" but i can't find it using any search engine, i just get things that are basic to use that speed up your computer etc.

6. kirock

Sorry, I've never heard of it.

7. coastymad

Oh well, i better keep searching.

8. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

try basic link pages
    I have had C++ borland on my old win98 machine and played with it I think to learn it is free I had the version 4 plus
    could not install on win2000 machine and have not really got into that aspect of programming
    I have 2 copys of VB 5 and 6 did lot more learning with these
    got them from ebay really cheap,should be even cheaper now with .net release on market.
    I would look for older version if you realy want a GUI programming tool to learn on should be had for 50.00 usd
    come to think now I sold my VB5 on ebay for under 30.00

good luck

9. Tribal-Phoenix

Tribal-Phoenix TS Rookie Posts: 92

Microsoft Word has vb build in it i believe the shortcut is alt+f11, u can make macros with that but i dont think you can make exe's but you can always get a ligemate copy of it from the internet.

10. coastymad

What i really need is visual basic 5.5, as all the books I have about it (as i am just about to start learning) use the interface on VB 5.5 thanks.

11. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

If you are not in a rush I will look around

12. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

13. coastymad

No i'm not really in a rush.

14. xp0gam3r

xp0gam3r TS Rookie

Free

Ya...ther is a free version of VB and its Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition!!

Enjoy!

15. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

I have a few good ones that are free and are very similar to VB

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

try that(I used to program, if you can program well{graphics and such} can u teach me lol?)

sw123

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.