Vladimir Putin orders creation of Russian game consoles, Steam-like cloud delivery, and OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
In brief: With so many sanctions placed against the country over its invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Russia wants to develop more home-grown technologies. Now, President Vladimir Putin has called on the government to create Russian stationary and portable game consoles, along with operating systems and cloud-based game delivery systems for the machines.

Putin made the order following a meeting on the socio-economic development of Kaliningrad. The deadline for the government to come up with the plans is June 15, 2024. Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin has been appointed responsible for overseeing the task.

Putin's dream of a Russian gaming ecosystem to rival the likes of Valve, Sony, and Microsoft isn't going to be easy to achieve. As noted by Russian-language publication Kommersant (via PC Gamer), which spoke to industry figures including the product director at Lesta Games, it will likely take 5 to 10 years to create this entire system and it will still be around 15 years behind Western alternatives from a technical point of view. Being able to attain the necessary equipment will be difficult, too, though China will doubtlessly be willing to lend a hand.

Last month, Russia's Organization for Developing the Video Game Industry (RVI) presented a five-year roadmap to the government that laid out an 83-point program for developing video games in the country. It included re-establishing relations with various funds and international gaming organizations with links to Russia. The RVI said the creation of a full-fledged domestic game console is planned for 2026-2027.

Soon after it invaded Ukraine, Blizzard and Epic Games became two of the many gaming companies to suspend their services in Russia. In 2023, Nvidia announced its streaming service GeForce Now would be shuttering in the country over quality concerns and the political situation. The sanctions have led to almost 70% of Russian gamers pirating titles.

It's not just sanctions that are pushing Russia to expand its own gaming industry. The government is also concerned about "hidden inserts," likely referring to perceived pro-Western themes, in popular games that could influence the conscious and subconscious minds of players.

Permalink to story.

Part of his 2018 election promises were improving the average everyday living standards of Russian citizens, halving the poverty rate and increasing life expectancy to 78 by 2024.

Real incomes are worse now than 2013, the poverty rate slightly improved since 2018 but nowhere near halved and life expectancy is 73. Ignoring calculations where the life expectancy of an awful lot of men in the army has been drastically curtailed.

Aside from all the political remarks the US and other NATO countries need to develop a way to block off and filter out any Russian sites. While there may be some legitimate sites out there that will be missed, by and large it will be for the betterment to eliminate them from the free world internet sites. Not saying it will be easy but by and large the Russian invasion of the internet has been nothing but evil and needs to be stopped at any cost.

A console powered by vodka and *****s.

5yhydw.png

Last edited:
Call of Motherland: Modern Warfare 2.

Live the dream and paradrop on Washington, D.C. or New York.
And remember - no russian in theaters...

I don't know it honestly doesn't sounds too crazy to me. We're talking tech from 15 years ago but to me, 15 years ago we had GTA IV, we had Halo 3, we had Elder Scrolls Oblivion, etc. We had plenty of just great games on that era that in some ways can be even better experiences than many of games coming out 2023 and 2024 for my money.

Sure the cloud stuff is probably the least viable in pragmatic terms but I don't think many appreciate how much things have slowed down in terms of uses for the processing power in the last 15 years: things don't look as different from today as you'd believe.

I wonder if the rest of the World see us (U.S.) as the same as our leader (like we see them as a people)? I refuse to accept Russians and Chinese people are one and the same as their leaders -- personally I feel that its all leaders (including the U.S.) who often seem bent on wars and tactics that prompt divide, and that the people of all the Nations around the World would prolly be surprised on how alike (while so different) we each are, and in wanting peace above (war) and use other options when at all possible. Being a World leader (as we think our Nation is here in the U.S.) is vastly different than wanting or demanding everyone else just be like us or how we see them to be.

:DDD yeah sure, they've already been sponsoring ReactOS for like a decade now. See how far that got them.

It's such a shame you can't buy competence with corruption, right?

Amazing how brainwashed most people are… Russia is doing pretty well and Putin is actually pretty popular in Russia. Don't believe what the media tells you about Russia as its mostly lies.
Visit and see or at least watch videos on Youtube that are done by simple regular tourists.
In many ways, Russians have better standards of life than in the US.
I am not a fan of Putin or Russia by any means, but its shocking how much it is being portrayed as the bad guys right now.
Us, the West, we can go around bombing and destroying any country we want (in the name of democracy)… but we are never the bad guys somehow…
What a joke world we live in

Part of his 2018 election promises were improving the average everyday living standards of Russian citizens, halving the poverty rate and increasing life expectancy to 78 by 2024.

Real incomes are worse now than 2013, the poverty rate slightly improved since 2018 but nowhere near halved and life expectancy is 73. Ignoring calculations where the life expectancy of an awful lot of men in the army has been drastically curtailed.
He's improving living standards of his people by sending them to heaven.

Amazing how brainwashed most people are… Russia is doing pretty well and Putin is actually pretty popular in Russia. Don't believe what the media tells you about Russia as its mostly lies.
Visit and see or at least watch videos on Youtube that are done by simple regular tourists.
In many ways, Russians have better standards of life than in the US.
I am not a fan of Putin or Russia by any means, but its shocking how much it is being portrayed as the bad guys right now.
Us, the West, we can go around bombing and destroying any country we want (in the name of democracy)… but we are never the bad guys somehow…
What a joke world we live in

Most people consume media and regurgitate nonsense. Ignorance is compounded. There are other perspectives and they aren't willing to entertain it for a nanosecond.

It is gonna be a generic device from China with Russian interface and much more importantly a very authentic Russian logo (made of European paint printed on European equipment)

I refuse to accept Russians and Chinese people are one and the same as their leaders
Russia had multiple chances to follow Europe. They had revolution which led to the most horrible regime that killed tens of millions of their people. Then had even better chance in 1990. And look where we are today? Extreme poverty, no freedoms, and a crazy old tsar threatening the world that helped him to rise Russia out of poverty with nukes for aiding Ukraine.
They are the same, they deserve Putin, and if he died, they would pick another just like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back