VoIP Phones

Angelbear

I didnt know where to post this exactally . But if it needs move you can move it plz to the right spot.
Ok Im gettin Cable for the puter here , and I was going to drop my DsL and Landline phone.( house Phone). And Was thinking about getting a VoIP Phone. Now what I was wondering , was What do you all think about them, and Which ones do you all recommend, Vonage or Skype? and Which one is more Secure? I value your opinions on these matters as I know nothing about them , but what Ive seen in the Commercials. And I dont need to know the Fluff about them but the bottom line truth . Can yall please help me ?? .Thanks in advance for the help.
Angelbear :)

The problem I see with them is the fact that 911 does not operate the same, and I'm used to just having to dial 911 (even though I never have). Also, it is much less reliable than a regular phone line. That's what I think anyway. It's a good idea, but it has some flaws to it as well.

Thx for your Input Cfitzari. Keep the feed coming plz . I went to vonages website last nite . And they do have 911 and enhanced 911 on their VoIP phones now. That is linked to a national GPS Address tracking system . I Was quite Surprised .Im still kind of shady about , MSN and Skype tho. Does Anybody know anything about them ? Any input or feed back is apprceiated.
Angelbear :)

Angelbear,

Skype is an online telephone service that is not free anymore :( It use to be for the year 2006. But now Skype has a paid service where you have to buy credits to make calls over the program. Now skype will still work for free if your making computer to computer calls but if you try to call anyone in the USA or Canada you will need skype credits to make calls.

Gm N1Hawk.
Yes I seen that too. :( . And If I wanted to make Free pc to pc calls I can do that already with Msn and Yahoo lol. in their Voice Chat Im's . I aslo to see that AOL has a cheap VoIP plan to . Do you or anybody know anything about that one ??
Btw thanks for your Imput too Hawk much Kudos:)
Angelbear
Btw Hawk , All these ppl (companies ) just want you to use their stuff for free , just long enuff to get you hooked on it ya know lol ;) .

Thanks N30, for the share . NOw Im wondering is that just a pc to pc calling service . And do the parties that you are calling have to have the software installed to? And Im wondering if you can call land Line Phones too, If you buy credits? That might be something to cosider for traveling you know .
Angelbear

The only problem I can see with that idea is that it means that you will only be able to make and receive phone calls while your PC is turned on.

I don't like the VoIP option at all and here is why. Well one if the power ever goes out or your internet is down for what ever reason you are left with out a phone which is not good. A landline on the other hand is aways on even if there is no power so long as you have an older phone that does not require power. I have also had friends who have tried it and said they did not like it all. But then agian it is cheap and you how the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Just something to think about

Steven

VoIP is a great idea but, it needs to deal with the no-power, no-call problem before it can truly replace regular phone lines.

thanks all

I was looking into this and trying to understand the pros and cons, and this here forum helped plentily.

Back