TechSpot

Vpn

By Wraith
Jun 5, 2007
  1. Hi there, I'm trying to set my home computer up for remote access with a VPN but the instructions I received from a friend were vague and unhelpful. I'm running Windows XP Home on this computer which I hope won't be a problem. I know how to connect to a remote computer but I'm not sure if you have to be running XP Pro on the computer that you connect to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Jon

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,942   +167

Where is this remote computer located physically? There are many ways to connect to a remote computer, and VPN is one of the less used ways... Are you in a college dorm or something?

Look at this:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/vpn/ht/newvpnwindowsxp.htm

Take special care to key the VPN server name/IP address data correctly. The Windows XP wizard does not automatically validate this server information...

3. Wraith

Wraith TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

I've already read through that guide and it's for connecting to a vpn that' already in place. What I'm trying to do is create a vpn server at my house so that I can connect to my desktop computer when I'm at school or work or anything like that. Although if you have a recommendation for a better way to do this I'd be happy to hear it.

4. gguerra

gguerra TS Enthusiast Posts: 559

I'll give you a quick and cheap (free) way to do it..
    logmein.com, it is abslutely the best thing in remote computing I've seen lately. The only requirement is internet access and a browser which I think you can cover.. right?

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,942   +167

6. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

If you do decide to use remote controlling, I can confirm that LogMeIn is pretty cool. You can control a remote PC as if you were sitting in front of it.

My brother used it to change my screensaver when he was on a trip halfway across the country. I nearly had a cow. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.