Walmart's Vudu app converts your physical movies to digital for $2 each

Jos

Staff

Walmart’ streaming movie service, Vudu, is expanding its disc-to-digital program with an update to its mobile app that will allow users to scan the barcodes the film’s barcode for converting into digital movies you can watch anywhere. The service isn’t free, of course, but for $2 to $5 apiece you can give new life to those DVDs and Blu-ray Discs collecting dust on your shelf.

Previously, the disc-to-digital conversion service required people to take their media to Walmart stores, or scan the disc on their PCs using a dedicated desktop software. Pricing remains the same: converting movies you already own is $2 for either a Blu-ray disc to HDX or a DVD to SD, and $5 for DVD to HDX.

While the program isn’t free, it's significantly cheaper than re-purchasing your DVD content in digital form, and less challenging and time consuming than ripping them yourself — which is technically still illegal, absurd as it may be. You converted movies will be uploaded to your digital locker on UltraViolet, a cloud-based movie storage service, movies can then be watched on TVs, tablets, smartphones, computers, video game consoles, smart TVs and set-top box devices such as Roku.

Keep in mind that Vudu is a closed platform with its own digital rights management system, so any movies you convert into digital format are locked into that ecosystem — you can’t download them or play on unauthorized devices or media solutions such as Plex.

The program supports nearly 8,000 films from major studios.

Permalink to story.

I wonder If I'd be able to go to target and start scanning barcodes in the DVD/BD section ^^ 2-5 dollars is a lot cheaper than 20-30.

I wonder If I'd be able to go to target and start scanning barcodes in the DVD/BD section ^^ 2-5 dollars is a lot cheaper than 20-30.
They don't really care if you own the movie already - that's just for legal purposes... The digital copies of the films are already on UltraViolet, and scanning your barcode (and paying) just gives you access to it on your account.

The flaw is, UltraViolet is a piece of cr@p and won't play on many devices... leaving you with a $2 movie that is locked to your PC.... which is fine if you have an HTPC....

I prefer simply downlading the movie myself as then I can do whatever I want with it... but that's not always an option... legally that is...

It's a service that wouldn't interest me in the slightest even if it was free. I find that even watching a 5 minute video clip on YouTube on a QHD 5.2" screen mobile device to be a royal pain in the a$$ but I'm sure a lot of folks would love it. The only time I could see myself going for something like this was if I was confined to a hospital bed for a while or something like that.

It's a service that wouldn't interest me in the slightest even if it was free. I find that even watching a 5 minute video clip on YouTube on a QHD 5.2" screen mobile device to be a royal pain in the a$$ but I'm sure a lot of folks would love it. The only time I could see myself going for something like this was if I was confined to a hospital bed for a while or something like that.
So you wouldn't watch a movie on your TV? That's what it is actually for. My Tivo and Blueray player both have Vudu apps, as do most streaming sticks. I open it, scroll to "My Movies" and then watch any of the movies on my account, whether UV or Vudu exclusive.

Lots of wrong information in the article though.
"Pricing remains the same" Nope. You get 50% off if you transferred 10 or more at a time via the Vudu To Go Windows program. No such discount with the app..
"Keep in mind that Vudu is a closed platform with its own digital rights management system". Vudu has their own exclusive files, but anything you buy on Vudu that is UV can be downloaded on many other services. Vudu in no way owns UV.
"you can’t download them", except you can. Through the previously mentioned Vudu To Go or the Vudu app.

So you wouldn't watch a movie on your TV? That's what it is actually for. My Tivo and Blueray player both have Vudu apps, as do most streaming sticks. I open it, scroll to "My Movies" and then watch any of the movies on my account, whether UV or Vudu exclusive.

Lots of wrong information in the article though.
"Pricing remains the same" Nope. You get 50% off if you transferred 10 or more at a time via the Vudu To Go Windows program. No such discount with the app..
"Keep in mind that Vudu is a closed platform with its own digital rights management system". Vudu has their own exclusive files, but anything you buy on Vudu that is UV can be downloaded on many other services. Vudu in no way owns UV.
"you can’t download them", except you can. Through the previously mentioned Vudu To Go or the Vudu app.
Nah, but that's just me. Believe or not, I don't watch movies anymore. Haven't done so in years. The last movie I remember watching was Saving Private Ryan. The only things I watch on TV these days is live sport and documentaries.

Back