Want to buy a cheap gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyChill

hey guys i wanted to buy a cheap gaming pc that can play up to date games. I need some help. I already have a Dell dimension 2400 and i was wondering if i can take any parts from it to reduce the cost. Any help help would be appreciated.

Processor:
2.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Bus Clock: 400 megahertz

Drives
79.96 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
384 Megabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3JV5ERB6, rev 3.16, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
254 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM_2' is Empty

Display
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
DELL E773c [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n 6418038T32T4, August 2003)

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller

got all this info from a scanner. hope its alll you need

the cd rom drive looks ok, floopy is ok, more than likely you wont need it though. If you wanted to you could use your p4, depends on what you want to do. hard drives can be reused,

So looks like you need a mobo, ram, decent power supply, and a video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157106

your processor isnt even sold many places anymore. This board will leave you a little headroom just incase you want to spend 60 bucks on a 2.8p4 or something. Has a pcix16 slot as well. some others may have some experience with p4's as I only owned one, but if you need anymore help just post here.

that board you picked out is amd based, processor that you have wont fit, although its not a bad board

My old computer is pretty much the same thing you have. I added as much as I could to it, and made it the best it could be... and it still can't play Battlefield 2 well.
So I'd suggest getting everything new except the hard drive. You may want to keep the CD-Drive too, but all you need is one DVD drive.
Make sure you get a dual core processor, preferably Core 2 Duo,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115015
That may be too expensive, but its really nice.
You need a cheap motherboard thats compatible with C2D, and has a PCI-Express slot. Doesn't really matter the type of memory, just make sure you get the right type for the motherboard.
Most important for games is the video card... I'd suggest this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150230
Also, if too expensive just make sure its DX10, otherwise its probably a waste of $$$.
Well, good luck, hope it helped.

very nice, lol. went to the same place I did. I think he may be shopping on a bit of a budget.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

k that looks likea good one

so if i got those all i need is RAM and a power supply? whats the recommended ram for games? If i buy a case will it come with a power supply?

Yeah, you can find some nice cases with a power supply. A Gig of ram is recommended. Thats not too expensive these days.

Dell cases don't have good ventellation. But there are cheap cases w/ power supplies.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The best thing is to check with your mobo manual or mobo manufacturers website for what brands/sizes/speeds of ram are supported by your mobo.

Using incompatible ram can cause you lots of stability problems.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back