TechSpot

want to change my video card...need suggestions

By totalgruzin
Jan 5, 2006
  1. hey guys i currently bought a sapphire radeon 9600 256mb AGP
    umm....im not quite satified with the performance and my video (wmv) looks like crap

now i was thinking of buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121197

its 128mb but i heard that memory isnt that important for world of warcraft (which is the ONLY game i play)

if that card is no good can u guys suggest a good one?
    sorry to say...i cant go over the price you see for the above one :(

2. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

the 9600 should be able to play that game well
    post your system specs

but you will need to get atlest a 6600gt to notce much increcs imo

if you can go an extra 7 dollors over dudget get the ati 9800 PRO great card despit its age

3. jaroddog

jaroddog TS Rookie Posts: 87

Don't get the 9800pro previously mentioned. It is not a true 9800pro. It only has 4 piplines and 128bit memory interface. A true pro has 256bit interface (not something you can change). It's a waste of money. Better get a 6600GT. They outperform a 9800pro for less money. That's what I'm going to get.

4. LipsOfVenom

LipsOfVenom TS Rookie Posts: 160

yea...6600GT is nice 500/1000 at 128 MB for only $122 at newegg!!! it's a steal hehe but um....yea memory isn't the only thing...memory only holds data...how fast you can transfer that data is wat determines real speed...so bit rate and clocking frequency i.e. 500/1000 is important...doesn't matter how big your backpack is...only matters how fast u can run with it on your spine

5. totalgruzin

totalgruzin TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

yea thats a sweet deal! but sadly i dont have pci-e :(

6. swker98

7. totalgruzin

thats cool but a little too expensive :( and its not in stock....the rma on my card is running out fast....
    k lemme ask u guys this....the card i mentioned in my first post....is it better than an r9600??
    also u guys should know, my 9600 doesnt have a fan...so OC is out of the question (and it doesnt have a connector for a fan so i cant buy one) and if i buy the card i mentioned...it will recieve big time OC (my new PS should definetly handle it)
    if i get it...i will OC to 450/700 (more than one reviewers have done this and said its perfectly stable, with the default fan!)
    also...i would pay a few dollars more for that sweet GT...but i dont have pci-e

8. LipsOfVenom

actually both the 9600 and 6600 are 128 bit, but the radeon is 325/400 while the 6600 is 300/550...so not much difference there...but if you're going to o/c the 6600...then by all means..just buy it...i always hated researching for days and finally end up buying nothing because the sale ended or sumthing hehehe

9. totalgruzin

oh man....lol...i dunno if i should pay 40+ dollars more if the difference isnt big :suspiciou
    i dunno what to do!!! aaahhhh!!
    i need more opinions
    if u guys can help me find a good deal, thatd be great...my budget is no more than 115 and all i play is WoW

oh btw...someone wanted to know my specs
    intel D865GLC
    celeron 2.13
    768 ram (512+256)
    sapphire radeon 9600 256mb AGP
    xclio 450w PS (just got this yesterday, reviews said its awesome! and it can handle more than what it says in the specs)

i spent a whole day tweaking graphics settings to get the best overall result...
    ATM i run wow at 30ish fps when moving and looking straight, 60+ inside....while maintaining > average graphics
    the only problem is the sharpness of the graphics (everything in the distance is blurry) now i know that antirosopic(sp?) filtering fixes this but if i go more than 2x my fps drops dramitically

basically what im asking for is 30+fps (MORE than playable) BUT also sharp graphics...the damn blurriness is pissing me off

10. totalgruzin

11. swker98

look on newegg for a 6600gt agp there only about 120 and are good prefourmers

12. LipsOfVenom

okey..yes...replace it...either the $112 6600 or the $120 6600 GT...the call is yours..shell out a few more bucks for the GT or not.....choices choices....

13. jaroddog

jaroddog TS Rookie Posts: 87

$124.and some odd cents for a 6600GT in agp (after rebate). Check it out.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.