Want to increase FPS. What is best way? Video Card or More Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I want to increase my FPS to run around 40-60, the game I play is WWIIONLINE. I currently run around 15-30 FPS and game is kind of jumpy. I really want to keep the price around $150-$200 if possible. I understand if we go over that budget range. Here is all the specs I can give you on my computer:

1. Motherboard - Don't know its a Dell Deminsion E520
2. Graphic interface -256MB PCI ExpressTM NVIDIA® GeForce® 7300LE TurboCache12
3. Memory -Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz) I got 1GB
4. CPU -Intel P4 with HT at 3.0ghz with a 800 FSB
5. CPU Speed -look above!
6. Power Supply Make/Model -305 Watt DC Power Supply
7. Watt output/Amperage-not sure about this one!

Like I said its a Dell E520. I am not a "HARDCORE" gamer I just want a nice FPS rate. If can get around 40-60 Avg FPS that would be awesome! If you need anymore info just ask and I will try and get whatever you need! Thanks!

Lots of memory, and a very good graphics card, with a power supply that can handle the graphics card. The more you spend, the better it will work... The more you read up on video graphics card, the less you will spend.

Hmm, for a newer video card I'm afraid that you'll need a new PSU. A quality 400W PSU will do the trick.

And a good card would be a 7600GT. Way more powerful than your current 7300LE.

Regards :wave:

EDIT: Check out this outstanding guide by Cfitzarl: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic66390.html

EDIT2: THIS would be a great PSU.

Welcome to Techspot :wave: ! You could probably get away with your 1GB of memory, although it's being eaten up by your video card (hence the turbo cache which gets the memory for the video card out of your mem. sticks). The one wolfram suggested was a good choice. For about $50 more, you could also get a GeForce 7900GS, although you would need to make sure that you get a power supply with proper wattage and amperage, along with the correct slot connection video card.

since you already got 1gb of ram, you won't see much of an improvement with more ram, except with a select amount of games. I would invest in a better video card and PSU to support it. You PSU is too weak right now.

More RAM will only help with hickups and hitches,, The games framerate is dependent on the GPU ,,, OCing memory first is better way to do it. You can do the GPU clock too, but not too much difference,

Well you have the exact video card I have.. I just went from 512 ram to 1 gig ram and my frame rate did alot better in BF2 but your already tooten a gig so I dunno really another 512 prolly won't do much I would say go for a better video card thinkin like a 512 meg nvidia pci-e something that cost a few hundred I be honest bro this video card ain't much.. I got mine from tiger for about 70 bucks so I didn't give much @512 megs of ram it was um "decent" it could "play" a few games but didn't get interesting till added another 512 stick of ram. I think next time I upgrade I'm goin for an sli mobo and 2 *** kicken video cards

Hey if there is a demo of that game I be happy to try it n see what fps I get so we can compare machines. But honestly you should do a heck of alot better cause u got me on ghz

cfitzarl said:
Welcome to Techspot :wave: ! You could probably get away with your 1GB of memory, although it's being eaten up by your video card (hence the turbo cache which gets the memory for the video card out of your mem. sticks). The one wolfram suggested was a good choice. For about $50 more, you could also get a GeForce 7900GS, although you would need to make sure that you get a power supply with proper wattage and amperage, along with the correct slot connection video card.

I always wondered how exactly "turbo-cache" worked now I know and also why my fps in BF2 went up when going from 512-1 gig of ram

Thought about getting this card. ASUS EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/256M GeForce 7600GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card, I have a 420 Watt Power supply however it only has a 12v 13amp rail the card reccomends a 18amp will that be a BIG difference?

Yes it is too low. :( The -12V rail is used for other purposes.

The card may work, but I recommend a new power supply.

Regards :wave:

wtower777 said:
It says it has a +12V, 13.0A and a -12V 0.8A? Is that still to low?

I would never suggest you run that card with a psu that low in amperage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back