Want to replace integrated graphic card on a HP desktop

By donghoon1212
Sep 21, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. HI,
    I am planning on buying HP p6550z series with AMD Athlon(TM) II 245 dual-core processor [2.9GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MHz bus] with integrated graphic card
    I want to replace only the graphic card with Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR2
    Would there be any power or graphic card support problem?
    Please consider that i have little detailed knowledge about computers
    Thank you
  2. EXCellR8

    EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

    as a rule of thumb, i like to use at least a 450-500w power supply for any video card that requires external power directly from the power supply (minus the enthusiast grade cards of course, which will require more). you may be able to get away with a 400w unit with the 5570 but i don't know the power requirements off the top of my head. is there any specific reason you are looking to upgrade the graphics?

    i would like to point out though that for an extra ~$75-90 you could get a 5770 which would be much more powerful than the 5570.
  3. JMMD

    JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

    That PC has a 300W power supply so you're limited on what card you can run. Either replace the PSU along with the card or get a card that doesn't require a lot of power to run.
  4. ThermoDonut

    ThermoDonut TS Rookie Posts: 16

    yea you'll need a 400 watt psu at the very least. look for a frys near u and buy one. don't buy it online because you need to find one that you're sure fits.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...