Was under siege, now have no internet

By HijoDeDios
Jan 18, 2010
  1. My desktop became infected, had fake anti-virus pop-ups, and other pop-ups that were disguised as Windows messages. Could not open any programs including task manager unless I started them right when Windows booted. Also I lost internet connectivity, but my laptop can still connect wirelessly (desktop has wired connection). I ran through the 8 steps and cleaned some things out, the pop-ups have stopped, but still have no internet connection. The connection shows packets sent and received, but explorer can't bring up a site and none of the programs can access the internet to update. Can anyone help? I am running through the Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware a second time and will attach both logs along with HJT.

Attached Files:

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

I'm not sure about what connectivity you actually have.

For this:
    Go to start> Run> type in services.msc> double click on Messenger> Change the Startup type to Disabled. Stop the Service. Close Services.

Then open Windows Explorer: Right click on Start> Explore> My Computer> Local Drive (C)> Programs> scroll down to Messenger and do a right click> rename> change the name to read:
    messengerold. Close

You have processes running for multiple antivirus programs:
    AVG v7 which is no longer supported

You should decide which you want to keep and remove the others for the following reasons:
    • Multiple antivirus programs can cause conflicts that may leave the system more vulnerable.
    • Multiple antivirus programs can also slow down the system.

If you are using a paid program, Consider removing the free programs. If you are using a Trial of a paid program, please decide which programs you would like to keep and remove the others. You will find the following removal tools helpful:
    • McAfee Removal
    • AVG Removal: Note: You may have to reinstall AVG to uninstall it fully
    • For Avira:
    • Start> Settings> Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs (Windows 2000/ XP) or Start - Control Panel - Uninstall a program (Windows Vista / 7)
    • Wait for the list of installed programs to load, then click the name of the Avira program.
    • Click Remove next to the program's name (Windows 2000 / XP) or in the menu above the list (Windows Vista / 7).
    • Press Yes, to confirm the removal and then OK.
    • . Click Next until Finish. The software is removed.
    Please reboot the system when you have made the change. .

After you have handled the above, please rescan with Hijackthis and attach anew log to next reply.
    Do an online scan and include log:
    Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.
    • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
    • Click Start
    • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
    • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
    • Click Start
    • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
    • Click Scan
    • Wait for the scan to finish
    • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
    • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.