TechSpot

Watch Microsoft's next-generation Xbox reveal event live

By Shawn Knight
May 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft will be live streaming their hour-long Xbox reveal event Tuesday at 1PM ET / 10AM PT. Watch the full video coverage here with periodic updates summarizing the most important bits.

Read more
  2. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 496   +82

I'm willing to bet they will show the console. What would be even better is if they will allow preorders of the system now. If they do that, I am heading to the local GameStop without delay.
  3. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TechSpot Booster Posts: 281   +39

I love the PS4 advertisement underneath...
    Leo Martin Lim and danhodge like this.
  4. De4ler

De4ler Newcomer, in training

Now u can camp in CoD whit PC graphics
  5. cmbjive

I was right!!!!!
  6. cmbjive

7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,525   +313

8. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 676   +41

It's really disappointing....
    Leo Martin Lim and psycros like this.
  9. TheDreams

TheDreams TechSpot Booster Posts: 475   +43

That Call of Duty Ghosts commercial looks so sweet!
  10. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,333   +381

I think they're trying to do too much with it. People just want a new damn game console that will play state of the art games. They're trying to make it "everything for everybody" which will ultimately cause problems IMNHO. That's funny that if you say, "Xbox On" it'll "turn on." It will already have to be turned on just to hear that command! The whole voice/gesture command thing is obnoxious. It'll be a fun novelty for about 5 minutes, then people will get annoyed by it.

Will definitely be interesting to see what Steam and Sony come up with as competition.
    psycros likes this.
  11. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,333   +381

LOL...not ten seconds after I made my above post, a friend who is also watching the release show sent me this IM: "Meh. I want a game console to, you know, play games. All the other TV/Facebook/Twitter/social media integration is completely lost on me. And get off my lawn."
    SantistaUSA likes this.

12. supyo

supyo Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

The thing looks like an early 90's cd-rom based console or an ugly tv set top box. Disappointing. And to be honest, the games don't look all that next gen.
    Leo Martin Lim likes this.
  13. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,036   +91

Worst reveal in history.
    1. No real gameplay, just some cherry picked scripted scenes.
    2. Nobody actually even USED the console during the reveal.
    3. Very few games "shown"
    4. Why XBOX ONE? Isn't this the 3rd one?
    5. They started with TV, then EA and ended with COD....

All I can say is that I'm disappointed.
  14. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,117   +236

Xbox one is that powerful it can play videos with amazing graphics talk about next gen a dvd player got nothing on xbox one. Microsoft: Watch this video being played on xbox one because thats all it can do...
  15. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,493   +304

Now, people made fun of the Sony presentation for not showing off the console, instead it was much longer and showed off what a games console is supposed to play, GAMES!!

All they showed was EA sports games, Some game from Remedy that had a lot of smashed glass, a very short cut scene from a new Forza and Call of Duty?!

I think when it comes to games, the new Playstation has got this covered.

Want to watch TV though? (because its not like you can already) then the next Xbox is for you!
    Unless your a massive sports fan (like every gamer out there, every single one is just massive fans of every sport of course) then Xbox One (which isn't confusing at all considering its the third Xbox) is for you!

They didn't delve into the specs of the machine that much meaning its probably relatively underwhelming to keep the price down so the Kinect is bundled with it, my bet, the rumors are right, DDR3 and a graphics card not as powerful as the Playstation's, plus I'm happy to bet the Playstation OS will be more lightweight than the Xbox's since it isn't required to do much, hell microsoft are claiming their are 3 (yes THREE) OS's running?!

On a good note though, the new controller looks pretty sleek, the force feedback in the triggers is genuinely intriguing and an integrated battery pack has been needed for quite some time.
  16. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 517   +138

Lets see if they can get all in one right........
  17. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,857   +889

Looks great. I will stay with PC though. Xbox One > PS4. Too bad EA is way too affiliated. Finally we are seeing a CoD built on a new engine though.
    spectrenad and spencer like this.
  18. JC713

fimbles likes this.
  19. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 961   +84

All I can say is that I'm pretty excited. Today I use my PS3 mostly for watching movies and Netflix, and I occasionally game on it. But gaming has become sideline. This Xbox One takes what I've been doing all along and incorporates television in a way that I can relate to, Skype with the family, works with my phone, the Kinect is very smart, the system switches between TV, Movies, Games, Web instantly. It's a perfect upgrade.

The only thing unrelated to me is the Fantasy Sports that they demoed. Everything else they demoed speaks to me on how I use my console today and how I'd like to use it tomorrow.
  20. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,493   +304

So to confirm, you think Sony didn't put much effort in (or Nintendo for that matter) into their consoles?
  21. JC713

Sony did, but for some reason, the Xbox One impressed me more. Dont get me wrong here my friend, I will judge when I see the PS4, but as of now, I am liking the Xbox more. Nintendo did put effort in. I have played Nintendo consoles since the N64, and I still love them more than any other console. I just feel like Nintendo needs to reveal an updated Wii U to survive. The Wii kind of killed the business in terms of popularity among older kids. Whenever I ask friends of mine if they have a Wii (I never really do anymore), they would be like, "That is a childs console". The unfortunate demise of the name is just too embedded in the industry now. They need to change the name, and appeal to older children to gain market share. Also, no one plays a DS anymore (other than hard core Nintendo fans). Just 3 years back, every one had one.
    spectrenad likes this.
  22. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Where did the video go? I was watching it then I had to refresh the page and it's gone..
  23. Three OSs?! Why they can't make it to one? I would call it as a failure if they can't make it into one like other OSs.
  24. EmirSc

EmirSc Newcomer, in training

But, it can run metro last light very high at 1080 with SSAO + Full Tess.?
  25. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 517   +138

The superpowered console OS is what has my attention. However the install to harddrive and not need disc is an interesting point:
    -Will the harddrives have a high minimum storage (like 1TB)?
    -Will games be connected to the One (hehe, sounds funny)? Or to your account (so if you "recover" it on a friends One, you will not need this "fee" I'm hearing about as long as your account is on it)?
    -And the big one, will games start to come on USB sticks because discs will seem deprecated? Or are bluerays still too much cheaper to bother... (maybe copy the entire game on USB to play somewhere else almost instantly...)
    spectrenad likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.