Watch the first official "Jobs" trailer, a Steve Jobs bio-flick starring Ashton Kutcher

Rick

Jobs, an upcoming biographical film aiming to depict the extraordinary life of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs, now has its very first official trailer. Originally due in April, it appears the film has been rescheduled for an August 16 debut.

The movie chronicles Jobs' life and the people who surrounded him between 1971 and 2001 -- just several years prior to Apple's founding and just long enough to cover its eventual fall and re-emergence as a technology superpower.

In April last year, we learned Ashton Kutcher would portray Steve Jobs in the upcoming indie flick. We even got an early taste of the film several months ago with an interesting clip where the dynamic duo -- Steve Wozniak (played by Josh Gad) and Steve Jobs (Ashton Kutcher) -- discuss the potential revolution a graphical user interface could inspire. According to the real Woz though, that parking lot discussion never actually happened, but it still makes for good theater.

The posthumous movie bills itself as "inspired by true events", a phrase which always worries me a bit when it comes to factual accuracy. I'm reminded of the made-for-TV movie Pirates of Silicon Valley which, although met with mostly favorable critiques, was something less than a true recounting of events.

Even so, at the very least, Jobs looks like it may be a enjoyable flick that hits the big historical points. It'll be interesting to see Joshua Stern's (director) and Matt Whitley's (writer) take on Jobs, Apple and the history of the personal computers.

Permalink to story.

If you are interested in knowing the man, read his autobiography.

If you just want to be entertained by a Hollywood flick, that was criticized for its utmost inaccuracy to the point it was nearly cancelled by the making studio, go watch the movie, with soporific Ashton Kutcher.

Cannot wait! After reading the biography, this will be perfect for a full view of his life.

Really wish people would stop bitching about Kutcher though...

Cannot wait! After reading the biography, this will be perfect for a full view of his life.

Really wish people would stop bitching about Kutcher though...

Nobody here bitched about Kutcher (yet). He's a good actor, just fits well into dumb roles where he doesn't have an opportunity to show he is good. For a movie where he 'is a good actor' check out The Butterfly Effect.

Nobody here bitched about Kutcher (yet). He's a good actor, just fits well into dumb roles where he doesn't have an opportunity to show he is good. For a movie where he 'is a good actor' check out The Butterfly Effect.
In spite of his age, Ashton Kutcher has a certain boyishness about him. He doesn't really have the "rugged masculinity" about him to tackle really heavy roles.
There have been some notable exceptions, as a first glace, Michael Keaton seemed ill suited as Batman, and did anybody really picture Robert Downey Jr., as a huge smash in "Iron Man"?

That notwithstanding, and in spite of the fact for years I couldn't stand him, Kutcher lends himself well to lighter fare.He's a lot of fun on, "Two & a Half Men", where he basically IS playing a nerdy caricature of Steve Jobs already. One has to assume the movie will force quite a bit more gravitas on him to actually portray Jobs.

I suppose we'll see how that woks out.

You make valid points CC. I have seen The Butterfly Effect, he did play a college kid in it, but the movie has a very serious tone to it, and he played a pretty 'emotionally deep' role in it, and played it will.

I should have added, "Kutcher is no John Wayne", when I attached the term, "rugged masculinity".

That said, I don't picture Kutcher as "Rambo", and that's more or less what I meant by "heavy role".

Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs, might just turn out to be one of the most brilliant casting decisions of the year. He does do slightly absent minded and preoccupied with the technical world, but not really good with people, to a tee. I suspect that's what the Jobs role will entertain a lot of...:) "Walden Schmidt", but with a very dark side.

A.K.A: Dude, where's my computer? :D
Um....maybe, AKA, "Dude, where's your iPhone, you know you're not cool if you don't have one"...:mad:

Or perhaps, AKA, "Dude, you're holding it wrong".... :p

At the end of the day, Jobs was probably a lot more dictatorial than he was absent minded.

The resemblance is uncanny, I suppose he's got the ego to match Jobs so this should be pretty good if lacking in accuracy.

Check out the trailer on Youtube, and you will see how many people are slagging him off for his position as Steve Jobs, and for what they think 'ruined Two and a Half men'.
I agree with you, I think he is a great actor, who is definitely flexible in what he can do. And I can't think of any actor who would better suit his personality, and especially his looks.

I mean, I could imagine Benedict Cumberbatch playing the part in terms of his personality and acting style in Sherlock, but he looks nothing like him, which is why the balance is needed.

The resemblance is uncanny, I suppose he's got the ego to match Jobs so this should be pretty good if lacking in accuracy.

Where is the lack in accuracy? I obviously haven't seen it, but from the trailer it looked pretty accurate.

Other than the actor for Wozniak looking like a bit of a joke compared to the genius that he is...

Steve jobs was known by his employees as an *******.

His list of ******* acheivements far outways anything good he has ever done imo.

Censorship and Authoritarianism, Sweatshops, Child Labor and Human Rights, Endless lawsuits.. ect..

http://gawker.com/5847344/what-everyone-is-too-polite-to-say-about-steve-jobs

Give me a bill gates movie instead.
Dude, most of that is really harsh. I'm sure Steve Jobs would have given all his ill gotten gains away, he just didn't live long enough, and didn't think he'd gained enough by the time he expired.

And can you honestly say you look that good in a turtleneck?. I know I can't. Besides, Ashton Kutcher will look better in a turtleneck than you, me and Jobs combined. Now how could you possibly pass this movie up? That would be blasphemy, swear to Jod.

(At this point, captaincranky rolls his eyes, then leans over toward the right of his chair and farts loudly, in honor of a spoof well played).

I can no longer contain my contempt. It need be set free to fly to the gates of hell and beyond as it must...OK, enough with the pompous and pretentious preamble.

"It was the best of movies, it was the worst of movies"! (Sorry 'bout that Chuckie)

What you basically have here is a story about a major douche bag, being played by another major douche bag. Not only is this serendipitous casting brilliance, but it goes a long way toward disproving the old adage, "two wrongs don't make a right".

The hell they don't!

I give it two thumbs up!(y) (y)

(As to exactly where those two thumbs were up at the time of this announcement, I respectfully decline to answer on the grounds I might incriminate myself)

What you basically have here is a story about a major douche bag, being played by another major douche bag. Not only is this serendipitous casting brilliance, but it goes a long way toward disproving the old adage, "two wrongs don't make a right".
Pretty much sums up my feelings for the man(jobs), though I do like Ashton as Kelso everything after that was not so great. My only fear for this movie is Ashton might be a douche bag, but is he big enough of a douche bag to play Steve Jobs? That is one large bag to fill and I don't know if he has enough douche in him to fill it correctly.

I like that they got Ashton to do this for looks but Steve's voice is what makes him so recognizable.

You can also watch Pirates of Silicon valley. It looks like some of these scenes are replicas of that movie.

Back