Watch: Thieves exploit keyless entry system to steal a Mercedes in under one minute

midian182

Staff member

Owning an expensive vehicle filled with high-end features may be something many aspire to, but all that technology can mean they're more susceptible to hacks. Keyless entry and ignition systems, for example, can be easily exploited, as one man in Birmingham, England found out.

West Midlands police have released what’s thought to be the first surveillance video capturing thieves using relay boxes to steal a car. The technique works by holding one box to the wall of a house so it can pick up the signal from the owner’s key fob. Once this is received, it’s transmitted to a second box that is held close to the vehicle, which in this case was a Mercedes.

When the car detects the signal from the second box, its sensors are tricked into believing the key fob is present. The vehicle then unlocks and, as it also features keyless ignition, allows the criminal to start the engine and drive away. The whole process took less than one minute.

Police still haven’t identified those responsible for the theft, which took place on September 24, and the Mercedes hasn’t been recovered. The video was released recently in the hope that members of the public may be able to offer some leads.

With these types of thefts becoming increasingly popular—relay boxes can be purchased online easily—owners of keyless entry vehicles are being advised to take extra precautions. Storing the fob in a metal box such as a safe, or using a Faraday sleeve, should block the signal from being detected by the relay box. Alternatively, using an old-fashioned steering wheel lock could prevent the car being stolen, or at least slow the thieves down, and fitting the car with a tracking device is also recommended.

Permalink to story.

As much as I hate this, I think it is actually possible. that's because in newer honda, when I have two separate car fobs, the car would still be able to start properly. it'd be nice to not be able to start the car with 2 fobs present. maybe you'll have to start the car while holding other fob outside the car. granted that's a honda, but still...

on the other hand, for the older car without start button, when you press the unlock door button together for 2 different cars, you will not be able to unlock either one.

damnit I'm getting a metal box now

As much as I hate this, I think it is actually possible. that's because in newer honda, when I have two separate car fobs, the car would still be able to start properly. it'd be nice to not be able to start the car with 2 fobs present. maybe you'll have to start the car while holding other fob outside the car. granted that's a honda, but still...

on the other hand, for the older car without start button, when you press the unlock door button together for 2 different cars, you will not be able to unlock either one.

So your suggestion would mean that when you buy a new car car you would have to send someone else to go pick up the spare key...

I have had keyless enter/exit and ignition for around 15 years. One thing I always would have liked is for the engine to cut out if the car was at a complete stand still if the key was no longer detected. I think though there maybe some laws in certain countries preventing thing for safety reasons.

Another option would be to replace the start/stop button with a finger print reader. These are pretty advanced and fast now so could be used. So you still need the key + registered finger print and away you go. You would still have the backup option of being able to insert your card.

Easiest way to solve this, IMO, put a manual switch on the fob that turns it off. Problem solved.

Or a bit more technical way to solve it, have a touch sensitive fob that turns on only when holding the fob in your hand. Once the car is opened, then you can put the fob away.

Easiest way to solve this, IMO, put a manual switch on the fob that turns it off. Problem solved.

Or a bit more technical way to solve it, have a touch sensitive fob that turns on only when holding the fob in your hand. Once the car is opened, then you can put the fob away.

That defeats the point of keyless entry if you have to takes keys/cards out to turn them off and on. Again not viable if you have to be holding it in your hand, you may aswell use a key.

That defeats the point of keyless entry if you have to takes keys/cards out to turn them off and on. Again not viable if you have to be holding it in your hand, you may aswell use a key.
Personally, I do not see how this defeats keyless entry. You turn the fob on when you get into the car, and turn it off when you get out. Just how lazy have people become?

So what you are saying is that you would rather have a chance at having your car stolen rather than having to turn a switch on? This seems like it will be a difficult thing to protect against. Your faraday shield would have to be grounded, and simply having it in a metal box will not work either unless it, too, is grounded. The only other way that is immediately apparent to me is that you would need some sort of two-factor authentication such as punching in a code at the door of the car which also defeats keyless entry.

Personally, instead of having to take the keys out of my pocket when I get home (which I do already anyway) and put them in a grounded faraday shield or grounded metal box, I would rather have a switch on them. As I said, problem solved.

To have keyless entry defeated by buying a simple repeater that is available pretty much everywhere is totally lame - IMO.

Because its keyless, you leave it in a handbag, wallet or pocket. If you are going to fanny around taking it out to push buttons to enter you car, why have the tech at all you may as well just use keys! It's nothing to do with being lazy, if that's the case why aren't we all cycling and do away with cars, surely cars are just for lazy people.

lol faraday shield box, do you wear a tin foil hat aswell?

I don't agree, I think an off switch would be the perfect solution, and as a bonus it would extend battery life. How difficult is it to switch it off when you remove the keyfob from your pocket, and then switch it back on when you return it to your pocket? I assume most people change pants day to day and don't sleep with their keyfob on them.

And obviously if you don't want to turn it off, you don't have to...

Why don't manufacturers just put a power switch on the key fob, rendering it inactive whilst not in use. That way a relay box wouldn't be able to detect the fob unless the car owner forgot to switch it off.

lol faraday shield box, do you wear a tin foil hat aswell?
Really? Read the article again because that is what the article says, and by the physics of electronics, that is what it will take to block the signal. Here's a link if you care to learn more - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Like I said, I guess you would rather have the chance of having your car stolen.

Just wait until the insurance industry gets on this. I won't be the only one suggesting solutions like this.

I don't agree, I think an off switch would be the perfect solution, and as a bonus it would extend battery life. How difficult is it to switch it off when you remove the keyfob from your pocket, and then switch it back on when you return it to your pocket? I assume most people change pants day to day and don't sleep with their keyfob on them.

And obviously if you don't want to turn it off, you don't have to...
Or just don't leave your keys next to the door where the thieves can easily scan it . . .

I would specifically buy a car that doesn't have this crap in it. Another example of security being discarded for a little convenience.
Because thieves never get past keyed locks?
But they also have to get past the car alarm and steering lock. The keyless entry/ignition hack bypasses all of that.
Let's just get rid of the keyless thing altogether. Problem solved. It's yet another example of implementing a user-friendly feature with little regard for security.

So your suggestion would mean that when you buy a new car car you would have to send someone else to go pick up the spare key...

I have had keyless enter/exit and ignition for around 15 years. One thing I always would have liked is for the engine to cut out if the car was at a complete stand still if the key was no longer detected. I think though there maybe some laws in certain countries preventing thing for safety reasons.

Another option would be to replace the start/stop button with a finger print reader. These are pretty advanced and fast now so could be used. So you still need the key + registered finger print and away you go. You would still have the backup option of being able to insert your card.

what I meant was a system similar to when the battery goes bad you can place the fob near the start button to start it, should it detect "too much" frequencies from multiple keyfobs.

unfortunately, there is probably a method of "cloning" the fob, transfer it to a "blank" fob and you'll be back with this same problem.

if you're paranoid about your car getting stolen, you can always be creative. I've been in a car where I need to switch some lights on before being able to start it. that's an inconvenience but depending on where you live it could probably make a difference.

I reckon keyless cars have been around for about 2 decades. I got my first in 2004. There are many car manufacturers that use keyless ignitions, even some that use keys are actually still contain an rfid tag. You will find though that if you look at the models, sale and thefts more cars with standard keys will have been stolen than any other.

Tbh at the end of the day it doesn't matter what security features you have. You could have a t-rex living in the boot (trunk for you people over the pond) or an amazing steering AI engine (lets call it Bernard). If a thief wants it, they will get it.

I think vehicle manufacturer's need to make a significantly greater effort into making their products harder to steal. When I look at how many vehicles are stolen daily in my supposedly safe country and my city I am astounded.
It's a huge cost for insurance companies (meaning insurance rates rise for everyone) and a waste of police resources (police are funded by tax payer, to hire more officers, taxes increase). Plus many stolen vehicles are stolen to commit other crimes.

Hmmm nice how their expensive camera setup doesn't have an alarm to let you know someones just walked up your driveway they may have been scared off if a light or two popped on all of a sudden ... Also why would you leave your expensive merc in the driveway when you obviously have a garage to put it in ah well stupid is as stupid does I suppose

So you're telling us that the newest luxury cars not only require a tin foil hat for the owner, but also one for the car keys?

Back