TechSpot

Watch this typewriter pound out ASCII selfies

By Shawn Knight
Apr 24, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Typewriters are obsolete, you say? Try telling that to Dmitriy Morozov. The Russian artist, engineer and musician took a Brother sx-4000 typewriter and combined it with an iSight camera, an Arduino kit and lots of ingenuity to create what has to be the world’s first typewriter capable of printing ASCII selfies.

The creation was recently shown off during the 101 festival in Smolny, St. Petersburg in Germany according to Engadget. What’s ironic about it is the fact that it uses a dated technology to create a modern image through a dated art form.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

And it hurts just watching it...

Steve likes this.
  3. seeprime

seeprime TS Rookie Posts: 32   +16

Sometimes, being able to do something isn't a good enough reason to actually do it.

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,662   +769

Kind of slow. The old ones we had at UofL used the Western Union teletypewriters and they moved along at a brisk pace (300 baud) compared to this one ..... guess it's like me and has forgotten how to do it ... quickly! LOL

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,684   +1,877

Something you should have shared with CBS executives when they decided to make Katie Couric their Evening News anchor..

6. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

Irony that he's a musician but didn't add any music to his video :p

7. captaincranky

He is a man after my own heart in that he never throws anything away..

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

Wasn't the pounding of the typewriter music enough for you? :)

9. captaincranky

I used to loath typewriters. I'd get about two pages typed before I had to replace the correction ribbon.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

At least you were proofing your work. People today don't bother and it is an easy enough task.