Water Cooling System, Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkkaos

I've just started learning about computers. I was just wondering, is it really worth it to learn to install a water cooling system? Better to stick with fans?

I just wanted people's opinion about this.

If you want high overclocking, then it would be worthwhile. With good normal coolers like the xp90/120 and the zalman 7000 series, though it makes more sense to me to not use water. The downside to water is that you have to top it off and if you forget and let it run out, it's not good, and also, you can have leaks, and electronics don't like water.

I have a P4 Prescott and really, the only thing that cooled it properly was water cooling. Basically, Ive tried many heatsinks and nothing really helped. My processor always idled at around 52-55. Now with watercooling (Thermaltake Big Water), it idles at 37-38, and Thermaltake's watercooler isn't even that good compared to most. I think its really worth the extra money if your a gamer or just want to extend the life of your computer. Not to mention how quiet it is without all the fans and such. :D

Eleventeen said:
or just want to extend the life of your computer.

I have never seen a CPU "wear out" At least before it becomes obsolete. Even then, without out human error, i dont hear of it often. Now, i dont know what kind of Heatsink you had on your p4, but i only own p4s, and i have never needed water cooling without ocing. (even my Prescotts.) But if your ocing, or just want to show off (dont deny it) water cooling is an option.

Sean

to me watercooling is only cost effective if the next better chip is more expensive than the one you have overclocked with a water cooling system.

Is it a sin that i like water cooling? I just dont really like the thought of my processor running full load at 70 C, even for a Prescott. Maybe im a little paranoid about this heat issue but :eek: ah, oh well :bounce: I thought it was worth the money, but thats just me.

Yes if going for a super oc say more than 250 or just want to be cool running. I ordered a liquid cooling for the cpu I hope for a super temp or oc or both.I did a rare thing I ordered a first ever already bulit PC from Alienware just a onetime thing always wanted one. Overcost was not bad if you dont go for the set starting config.

Like I said you have to get the performace of the next higher chip or better to jutify the cost of OC.

Eleventeen said:
I just dont really like the thought of my processor running full load at 70 C, even for a Prescott

What cooler did you have? All my CPUs are air cooled and my prescotts dont get near 70. (stock cooling)

AtK SpAdE said:
What cooler did you have? All my CPUs are air cooled and my prescotts dont get near 70. (stock cooling)

I used stock cooling also . It was all mounted correctly, no clue why it had gotten that high. I had 4 fans in my case too (not including the one on the heatsink). Hm, oh well. :D

I see, thanks for the thoughts. I'm a gamer, but i dont think my CPU really overheats. Even with only 3 fans (a side fan, CPU fan, and my Video card fan) i have never seen my computer overheat. Only reason i didnt put more fans is because i can't seem to find the plug for the fan in my motherboard ; ;. Anyway, thanks for the tips. I don't think i would ever overclock my processor or video card anyway. ^^

yeha, my spark 7 keeps mein prescott under 55c at all times. under stock cooling it was about 10 degress hotter.

unless you are an experienced pc enthusiast or exterme overclocker (you can't have one without the other anyways), don't mess with water cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back