WD Black 4TB hard drive arrives: 7200RPM, 5yr warranty, $340

By Rick
Nov 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Western Digital announced today the launch of its first 4TB mechanical storage offering aimed at desktop consumers -- the 3.5-inch, 4TB, 7200 RPM WD Black (WD4001FAEX). With an MSRP of $339.00, Western Digital claims their new drive is the fastest...

Read more
  2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

I heard NTFS has trouble formating anything beyond 3TB is that true? can someone look into this.
  3. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

Never mind... I just found what I was looking for. NTFS MBR only supports up to 2TB. for anything beyond GPT is needed for NTFS, which will require UEFI bios if the user plans on using it as a boot drive. but seeing that most people, such as myself, will only plan on using large drives like those 3TB or 4TB as storage, NTFS GPT will work just fine as a regular storage drive on regular BIOS.
  4. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

Time to switch to ReFS if you are using it just for storage.
  5. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +172

Only supported on Win2012 Server atm isn't it?
  6. Sees 4TB hard drive priced at $340... buys two 3TB hard drives for $320.

Western Digital, screwing people over the last 5 years.
  7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +172

They always are expensive when first entering the market. Give it time...

Release is great news!
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,803   +1,433

Any company (not limited to Western Digital) is going to try and make a profit from those willing to pay premium prices. If you want a single 4TB drive, you now have that option. You didn't have any options for a 4TB single drive five years ago, so why are you bitching about pricing when they first come out?
  9. My motherboard has a utility you can run to enable access to a drive with more then 2TB.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.