WD My Book 4tb External USB Crashed

Hi, My first post here :)

I really need some help I purchased a new WD My Book 4tb and have all my videos and pictures on this drive - I have always disconnected the drive properly but tonight when I connected to the laptop I get the following message;

33mn2x0.png

I cant access the drive to see if any of the files are there or not :(

I have not done anything other than click on the drive yet as I don't want to do anything wrong :) I have so much on here I don't want to lose. Thanks :)(y)

You've already messed up by keeping only 1 copy of important files :/

Is H the typical drive letter designation for that drive? I assume it is what you expected since you tried to open it. Can you take a screenshot of what Disk Management looks like with the drive on and connected?

Have you tried a different USB cable or tried it on a different computer?

I know I have another drive I was hoping to create a backup on just not had the time yet. I don't know much about computers so be gentle with me haha:)

Is this was you mean?

2vknjvr.png

The little blue calculating circle just keeps going round though - and if I click on the drive or anything the program turns into "Not Responding" :(

* Thanks for responding btw ;-) *

Thanks for the help but every time I plug the drive in all programs turn to "not responding" until I unplug the drive....not sure what to do :-(

From the disk management screenshot, it looks like the partition doesn't have a mount point, have you tried simply assigning a drive letter to that partition?

Hello there,

I will double the suggestion to try and assign a drive letter to the volume. If that doesn't help you should try partition recovery software as suggested by SNGX1275. And definitely try with a different computer if you haven't yet. Hope you get this sorted.

Take that HDD out of the WD MY BOOK and get yourself USB adapter with psu (these come with everything you need) for the HDD this way you don't need drivers for such a device. This is the only way to get into that HDD and transfer all your data to another HDD that working and not starting to fail on you. That's what happening in your case. I use NAS here! I did have what you have and took it right back to the store for a full refund.

Hi guys. Very late to this topic but will try to be brief. Have used WD external drives for years with zero problem, starting with a 1TB My Book which I 'outgrew' w/data & sold to a friend (after transferring files of course); then purchased a 2tb which I've kept around for backup (also exploded that capacity/storage); then bought a 3tb which dropped to the floor, destroying ALL data (read/write heads crashed into platters, etc) - still reeling from that UNbacked-up catastrophic loss which I'm methodically re-downloading tons of stuff, etc. Finally got a 4TB and have had nothing but trouble with the d*mn thing starting in Feb. 2015. Fine for a couple months then suddenly 'not accessible' w/NTFS drive suddenly RAW in disk mgt. A data recovery place got it all back & worked hunky-dory for 2 more months then 'not accessible' out of the blue again. Got a replacement directly from WD and same recovery guys got all data back & transferred to new drive and now this a.m. the new drive is not accessible AGAIN! It's always plugged into a UPS, I've ALWAYS left 1-2-3-4TB drives plugged into desktop and safely remove on rare occasions of disconnecting, etc. I'm about ready to start bawling at this point (had a VERY heated discussion with WD tech 'support' a couple hours back who are sending out ANOTHER one - and I demanded THEY pay for the recovery this time & am insistent upon reimbursement for the other two $150 times which they're p*ssy about). Is something inherently WRONG with the 4TB model? Should I go with NAS for which I have no need (just me, not a 'networked' environment)? Revert back to 3tb? Stay away from WD in general, My Book models in particular? Bounce up another level to the 6tb? Something seriously evil is going on here & getting understandably soured on WD products. Sorry for the ramble.

Status looks good, so I second the motion to assign a drive letter (or perhaps change the drive letter assignment).

Procedural attempt: shutdown the pc & attache the device.
THEN reboot an let windows make the assignment.

Hi guys. Very late to this topic but will try to be brief. Have used WD external drives for years with zero problem, starting with a 1TB My Book which I 'outgrew' w/data & sold to a friend ... Is something inherently WRONG with the 4TB model? Should I go with NAS for which I have no need (just me, not a 'networked' environment)? Revert back to 3tb? Stay away from WD in general, My Book models in particular? Bounce up another level to the 6tb? Something seriously evil is going on here & getting understandably soured on WD products. Sorry for the ramble.

OMG, I feel the SAME way!! I've used them for years as well from 500 GB through 3 TB. All of which are still working fine. I got the 4TB and have had nothing but problems. It's been iffy being recognized since I got it. I was having some success plugging it in to another laptop/PC if it stopped working on one, but now nothing. I've tried 4 different devices and I guess it's just dead now. It's not recognized at all, not showing in disk management. I feel the same evil. :D I'm out of warranty now, wish I had sent it back like you from the beginning. Don't know what to do at this point.

In general HDs > 2tb have not had good reliability. Frankly, I prefer to stick with 500gb as they have a proven track record.

Back