TechSpot

Web browser with temp downloads

By St1ckM4n
Jul 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It would be good to get a list of browsers with temporary download location. I'll start off:

• IE8,9
    • Opera 12
    • Safari

cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,242   +1,549

As far as I know they all have a temp download location, that is unless there are browsers that do not support downloading files.

3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 3,475   +624

The above listed browsers have the ability to 'Run' or 'Save' files. Chrome, Opera15, etc, they only 'download'.

This way, the browser can clean its temp files with the in-built tools. Also allows to have a neat folder structure in Downloads directory, not just a steaming pile of trash.

4. cliffordcooley

Ahh, thanks for the clarity.

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +918

So it is better to have the ability to Run?

6. St1ckM4n

Using Chrome:
    I open up 213234 email attachments, or Java downloader, or anything. It all goes straight to Downloads folder by default, unless I check a box to say "ask before downloading". If this is ticked, it asks me where to shove stuff. I gotta open stuff myself.

Using IE, Opera12, etc:
    When I click on email attachments, I can either Save or Run. Save - this prompts me where to save. Run automatically downloads the file into set directory (users/tmp, or a subdirectory in program files.. you get the idea) and automatically opens the file with no input from me. My Downloads directory or wherever I choose remains neat and tidy. My 'cache' of temp downloads is a mess, but I don't care because CCleaner and browser inbuilt 'clear cookies, cache, etc' setting removes this for me.

tl;dr - it's not personal taste, it's basic functionality.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,469   +327

No, it is better to have the choice :)

JC713 and cliffordcooley like this.
  8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +918

I always liked that run feature in IE. But ever since I got Chrome (about 5 years ago), I have been liking the save function more and more.

9. cliffordcooley

I save most downloads, but there are times I choose run instead. Even when choosing run, the app normally can still be found later within the browser default download location.

10. St1ckM4n

Yup, it's about choice.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.