Webcam not detected

Hi guys,

I have a Toshiba Satellite C870 and I can't seem to get the webcam working! I have updated to the latest drivers but I can't even seem to find it in device management... Does this mean that it could possibly be a hardware problem? Thank you in advance for all information that could help me find the solution!

Make sure when you downloaded the drivers you chose the correct operating system. There is a possibility that the webcam is broken though., yea I have seen that often, luckily usb webcams are so cheap nowadays you could just buy a new one.

Hi @Jeanvion

By default, Device Manager only shows devices that are connected and powered on. If there's no sign of your web cam in Device Manager (including no devices with yellow icons? Anything listed under "Other" device"?) then it's almost certainly a sign that the web cam hardware failed :(
Unfortunately, I see a lot of cases of laptop cams failing in this forum :(

Re: powered on/off means DO check if there's any type of on/off switch or function key on your laptop that might turn the cam on/off

Well then I'm guessing my web cam is very dead indead :) There are no yellow icons under any catogery! I also didn't find any on/off switches so thats also not it, I'm also sure the driver is correct. System restore is no option because it's been down for a year or so I think. So thank you for the information! I'll go check for a cheap *** external webcame then!

As a TOSHIBA tech, if the device isn't listed under Imaging Devices in device manager, there's a good chance it has failed. Basically if a recovery doesn't resolve, it requires a service. I don't see too many webcams fail and they are fairly cheap to replace if out of warranty. Return for service if under warranty. :)

This might sound unlikely the case but if you put in a new drive with an OS in it. Your webcam will somehow work again. Try it.

I tried the website test but did nothing for me :-/ I can probably return it, but that would mean I need to miss my laptop for 3 weeks and it's just not worth it. Thank you for all the replies though guys!

I tried the website test but did nothing for me :-/ I can probably return it, but that would mean I need to miss my laptop for 3 weeks and it's just not worth it. Thank you for all the replies though guys!

No worries mate, I guess if you're not that hung up about it that's OK :)

Back