Weekend Open Forum: Are you using a dedicated sound card?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A decade ago, most hardware buffs could agree that sound cards played a significant role in performance-oriented computers. In addition to circumventing board-level interference, discrete cards offered more driver functionality and I/O options. Sound cards also reduced load on your main CPU, potentially translating to higher FPS in video games.

While much of that remains true today, integrated audio has improved over the years and most motherboards ship with an onboard solution that provides sufficient quality audio, controls and connectivity for the average user. Meanwhile, in an age of high-speed multi-core CPUs, the performance benefit of having a dedicated sound processor is virtually non-existent.

With that, we ask: what are you using to drive your computer's audio? Have you been relying on an integrated chip all along? Did you "downgrade" from an early Creative SB Live! to modern onboard audio? Do you purchase a new discrete card with every fresh build? No matter the case, feel free to "sound off" in the comments about your existing setup!

Permalink to story.

I am still using my SB Live! 5.1, but before that I had a Soundblaster 16.. I really liked that card for its amped output which my SB Live seems to lack. If I were to upgrade my computer, however, to one with fewer PCI slots than my current one, the sound card is certainly one of the first things I'd sacrifice.

I am always on a fairly loose budget when I build my gaming computers, however a sound card is way low on the list when it comes to what I personally consider "novelty" extras. Anytime I get some extra cash to upgrade my computer it is always another component that needs the extra love and care. I am a much more visual person, so I rather buy a new IPS monitor or an upgrade for my video card or something along those lines.

Xonar Essence STX. It complements my Grado SR325's perfectly. I'll be carrying this card to the grave with me.

Im using one cus i have to ASUS Rampage II doent have a integrated sound card, but if it had i would stick to that and forget about a sound card.

I haven't used a dedicated sound card in years. I have a SLI set up in my midtower Coolermaster Storm and I really don't want another card taking up the cramped space plus adding to heat and mucking around with air flow. My integrated audio is good enough, plus I was never impressed with the cards I had in the past and I just never felt like I was getting that much more value for the price. I'd rather put the money towards a new graphics card or an extra one for SLI.

I'm also looking at my next build to be in a SFF case, which means a Micro-ATX mobo with not a lot of room for an extra like a sound card.

Like DokKRokken I also have the Xonar Essence STX card. An unbelievable card - ever since I installed it, I've used my PC as my stereo system as it makes my "real" stereo system sound like an AM radio.

It's pricey, but the sound quality and software functionality absolutely smokes any of the Creative cards I used to use.

Still sporting my SB Audigy 2 ZS. I plan on moving to an Asus card for my next build.

I added an SB Live! to my first store-bought computer because the VIA on-board audio chipset and serial port didn't play nice with my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick. But for my first build in 2005, I had a USB joystick and the on-board sound on my DFI LanParty was good enough for me. I have used on-board sound ever since.

I don't bother with them, just use the onboard sound and spend the money elsewhere.

TomSEA said:
Like DokKRokken I also have the Xonar Essence STX card. An unbelievable card - ever since I installed it, I've used my PC as my stereo system as it makes my "real" stereo system sound like an AM radio.

It's pricey, but the sound quality and software functionality absolutely smokes any of the Creative cards I used to use.

Either it's that good or you have one sad stereo system. Personally I haven't had a discrete sound card since my Pentium 3 days.

Realtek ALC883 and ALC888S with DDL. Have a Logitech Z-Cinema connected to my desktop pc so basically doesn't need any sc on it.

Was using X-Fi 5.1 Surround USB but had some of BSoDs and boot issues with my desktop. Sold it and bought X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI, only after few months mobo and gpu upgrade didn't left anymore PCI slot. don't bother with another ever since, use the money somewhere else.

Have a home theater setup in my basement. There's a projector on the ceiling, fed from one side (the right side if looking at the screen) by a home theater in a box, and fed from the other side (left side) by my computer. My computer has 2.1 speakers attached, and the sound is very rich to me. however, if I want better sound/surround sound for movies (speakers are wall-mounted around the room, 5.1 configuration), I've connected a digital coaxial cable from the built-in output of my GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard to the input of the HTiB. All the cabling is concealed behind the wall/ceiling.

With that kind of functionality built in to the motherboard, I really don't see any need for a discrete audio card.

M-Audio Profire 610 & X-FI Platinum
Profire for multitrack recording, X-FI for games.

Auzentech X-Meridian soundcard
Before that I've owned a host of Creative cards, last was a X-fi XtremeMusic.
However even with the new EMU20K1 soundchip I would have issues with the sound, and with the drivers.
With the Auzentech it has been smooth sailing :)

Already for years using just on-board sound - more than enough for me. I a lot more prefer more visual quality. But more than OK with on-board sound. Especially if using headphones.

I use an Creative USB X-mod because my integrated audio began making hiss and crackle noises after being active 24/7 for a while.

Im using my ASUS Xonar DX with Pioneer pro logic amp, it freaks the neighbours out when I crank Metallica

Not sonce 2005 or so. The onboard in this case the (SupremeFX X-Fi 8-Ch audio with EAX Advanced HD 4.0 support) are so good I cant justify a separate card. and I have no room for one.

Back