Weekend Open Forum: Have you been playing Mortal Kombat X?

Justin Kahn

forum mortal kombat

A new entry in the long running Mortal Kombat series released recently. Personally I’ve never taken fighting games all that seriously, but have enjoyed them over the years as a casual player, and especially in local multiplayer set-ups. The Street Fighter series has obviously been doing its fair share over the years, but has the latest MK brought back a new interest in anyone for fighting games?

While the genre has certainly stayed alive due largely to the competitive scene, it is sometimes hard to gauge how it is doing outside of that. For this week’s open forum we want to know how many of you guys are playing Mortal Kombat X. Is the genre still as fun as it used to be? Or are things starting to get a bit tired? 

Permalink to story.

I am not currently playing MK. Played the previous release on PS3 and very much enjoyed it. Judging from the streams I've watched, the latest entry is no exception. If I had $60 and time to waste, I'd probably pick it up.

Never played the series, but mostly because its a multiplayer kind of a game, and after losing hundred of session with younger brothers in all kind of games (mostly quake and red alert series), I gave up on multiplayer games alltogether. I play single player only for 15 years or so. Still, watching fatalities on YouTube is lots of fun. Just two days ago was asking on another forum if any PC portal will actually realize a new MK is coming out with GTA all over the news. No one did for full 12 hours. Nice shot in a foot from MK publisher.

I bought it for 21 something. I bought the steam code off some website. I was worried it was getting jipped.but it was legit. the game is fun, the violence is nice and gorey. my first mortal kombat, purchase ever. I don't regret. mainly because of the price

I haven't been serious with an MK game since MK2 - though this one does look interesting. Like TomSEA said though - I'll be waiting till it goes on a major sale and I'll be waiting longer than Tom. I'll grab it around the 9.99 or less mark or maybe even in a cheap bundle.

I haven't picked this game up yet...but as we grow older, these games tend to be not as fun as days of old. am sure any teenager will be as excited as I was, back in the days of the early MK series.

I played the first three. I liked playing the first one at the arcade downtown the most. Maybe after I'm tired of GTA V I'll grab MK X.

No. Just finished up Skyrim and now I'm gonna continue working on Witcher 2 & Just Cause 2.

Yes I've been playing since the day it came out!! It's the best fighting game ever created. I only wish the story could have been a bit longer.

It's a terrific game.

The Mortal Kombat games are far too simplistic for my taste. I don't know anything about Mortal Kombat X, but I doubt it can match Street Fighter IV's depth of mechanics. After playing SF4, I've lost interest in all other fighting games. I always jump at the chance to play SF4 with my friends. When you've got two players with roughly equal skills, the fights turn into mental chess. It's all about trickery and mind games. I can't get enough. :D

The Mortal Kombat games are far too simplistic for my taste. I don't know anything about Mortal Kombat X, but I doubt it can match Street Fighter IV's depth of mechanics. After playing SF4, I've lost interest in all other fighting games. I always jump at the chance to play SF4 with my friends. When you've got two players with roughly equal skills, the fights turn into mental chess. It's all about trickery and mind games. I can't get enough. :D

This is exactly how all of my friends are about fighting games. I understand the argument, but I think it's because you're already so invested in a series that it's too much work to learn another. I love street fighter and agree that it can be a game of mental chess, but that can be said for all fighting games given everyone has the same amount of knowledge.

When's Marvel?

This is exactly how all of my friends are about fighting games. I understand the argument, but I think it's because you're already so invested in a series that it's too much work to learn another. I love street fighter and agree that it can be a game of mental chess, but that can be said for all fighting games given everyone has the same amount of knowledge.

When's Marvel?

I've played a lot more Mortal Kombat over the years than I have Street Fighter, simply because there's been more Mortal Kombat games, and I've played a lot of Tekken too. They're all different, and they're all awesome games... but there's just something about SF4. As you say, the mental chess concept is present in all of these games, but SF4 is on a whole other level. To me, MK is simplistic and quick. Tekken is slow and floaty. SF4 is the most technically advanced of them. I've never tried the crossover ones, nor much of any other beat-em-up franchise.

Have not played a MK game in many years (probably close to 15 years now). I will be picking the newest one up, but not for many months from now when its on sale. Seeing the newest videos of the game, it has sparked my interest in playing again.

Back