Weekend Open Forum: What are you most looking forward to at MWC 2016 for your next phone upgrade?

Jos

Staff

Mobile World Congress 2016 will be kicking off soon and we’ll be there to bring you the latest and greatest in the mobile world. Traditionally the show has been associated with cell phones, but you can expect to see everything from accessories, to tablets, chips, fitness trackers, action cameras, VR and more.

While MWC officially starts on February 22, announcements will start earlier than that. Samsung and LG have events set for Sunday where we’ll get a first (official) look at the Samsung Galaxy S7 and the LG G5. Also joining the MWC party for the first time is Xiaomi, which specializes in high-spec but affordable devices and might introduce two new versions of its flagship Mi phone. Of course there will be much more in store with companies like Sony, Acer, Blackberry, HTC, Huawei, HP, Lenovo, and Microsoft all headed for Barcelona. Expect Virtual Reality to have a big presence at MWC 2016 too.

In this weekend's open forum we want to ask what are you most looking forward to at MWC 2016? We've included a poll with some of the rumored announcements and confirmed showings so far but be sure to chime in on the comments as well.

Permalink to story.

Not a damn thing. It's funny - I'm an IT guy, have a $3,000 hand-built gaming PC and home theater that would rival most. But still walk around with a flip phone. My friends think it's hilarious. But the way I look at it, I spend enough time behind a computer - don't need a miniature version of one in my pocket annoying the hell out of me.

Whats to look forward to? All the devices will have the obligatory, incremental upgrades from the previous generation. It's getting boring now.

I'm looking forward to almost being convinced having a smart phone is a good idea, then saying, "screw it, I'm still not buying one".:p

The only thing I use my Smartphone for aside from making calls and sending texts is checking my email, so no, not really. I also don't see the point in buying a new $600 smartphone every year.

Not a damn thing. It's funny - I'm an IT guy, have a $3,000 hand-built gaming PC and home theater that would rival most. But still walk around with a flip phone. My friends think it's hilarious. But the way I look at it, I spend enough time behind a computer - don't need a miniature version of one in my pocket annoying the hell out of me.

Solid !

The only thing I use my Smartphone for aside from making calls and sending texts is checking my email, so no, not really. I also don't see the point in buying a new $600 smartphone every year.

Just goes to show how wrapped up people are in upgrading for the sake of upgrading.
It's not about function ... it's about status and/or money to burn.

There are millions of people that don't participate in forums that think the way you do;
they are misrepresented by this cult-of-upgrade.

I am not looking for a smartphone upgrade as I already have my cheap cherry mobile android one and android one G2 smartphones.

what I want to know if google has an android one tablet program similar to its android one smartphone program. android one phones are affordable and receives android updates as soon as google releases them. no more months/years of waiting compared to other cheap and expensive brands.

same here, I use an Nokia 6300, and I don't care, it works.

Without upgrading technology would never advance. I cannot imagine a world full of people using only Nokia of 2010 because they don't need any more. It is because there are people upgrading that companies release new stuff which is better and better. The world goes on due to cool people only.

Anything that isn't a frikin SONY. worst build quality ever, wife has had hers replaced 3x and in for repair 5x .. the cheap *** accatel ($95 to buy I think) has worked better then her Z1 .. Mine is no better. Bell is telling me the NEW Z5 is already coming back for repairs in record numbers. Bell agents are warning people away from them.. crazy.

Regarding Sony, you're right. But my previous Samsung and LG worked with no problem at all.

Oh You know, the usual - decent battery life, accurate GPS, good screen to watch or read something in travel. Camera sufficient to make a photo now and then. My two year old S4 is doing just fine. Still, I would probably use Nokia 3120 if its keyboard didn't die on me. We are talking about phones after all - devices for making phonecalls.

If you can deal with the annoyance of a PC, you can deal with the minor annoyance of a smartphone. I find the attitude rather silly. Valid choice, but silly. (I mean, really, you're an IT guy who complains about spending time behind a computer, and then build a $3,000 one to spend even more time with at home?)

Regarding the MWC, I don't much care about that. For a phone I want a small one, for tablets I want one that has a lot of games and runs them fine, all in a lightweight package. So even though I currently use Android devices I'm more interested in what Apple brings to the table. I do like Android, so my hope is that the iPhone 5se is successful enough to convince Android makers that it's not always "bigger is better".

If you can deal with the annoyance of a PC, you can deal with the minor annoyance of a smartphone. I find the attitude rather silly. Valid choice, but silly. (I mean, really, you're an IT guy who complains about spending time behind a computer, and then build a $3,000 one to spend even more time with at home?)

Regarding the MWC, I don't much care about that. For a phone I want a small one, for tablets I want one that has a lot of games and runs them fine, all in a lightweight package. So even though I currently use Android devices I'm more interested in what Apple brings to the table. I do like Android, so my hope is that the iPhone 5se is successful enough to convince Android makers that it's not always "bigger is better".

It's about personal time. Smartphones are an intrusion on my personal time. When I'm at my home or work computer, I control everything that happens. If I had a smartphone, I would be bombarded - as I see all of my friends do - with responding to e-mails, texts, alerts from various websites, etc. I don't need that ****. When I'm my own time, I want to be left alone and to be able to communicate face-to-face with friends/family without something buzzing in my pocket "telling me" that I have something to look at or respond to. It's an intrusion, plain and simple.

S7 battery and resolution, is the most important info im waiting for. if its under 3k battery and at 2k resolution, its just another s6 failure. and the last time I buy samsung. since it will be suicide for them.

It's about personal time. Smartphones are an intrusion on my personal time. When I'm at my home or work computer, I control everything that happens. If I had a smartphone, I would be bombarded - as I see all of my friends do - with responding to e-mails, texts, alerts from various websites, etc. I don't need that ****. When I'm my own time, I want to be left alone and to be able to communicate face-to-face with friends/family without something buzzing in my pocket "telling me" that I have something to look at or respond to. It's an intrusion, plain and simple.

I understand. So it's more an excuse to stay out of modern ways of communication than actually having to deal with the device. I mean, you can turn off notifications, but you have to explain to people that you won't see their messages. This is what I do, but naturally not everyone accepts it.

Any computing device is what you make of it. You get e-mails on your PC and yet you seem to be okay with that. You get texts on a feature phone and you seem to be okay with that. That you aren't okay with this on a smartphone is just a matter of your attitude, nothing to do with the smartphone as such.

Nothing (unless they actually improve battery life). Won't be changing my phone for the foreseeable future.

Nothing (unless they actually improve battery life). Won't be changing my phone for the foreseeable future.
I went in Nov 15 for a weekend outdoor camp. When we got to our cabin on Friday night there was a instant rush by everyone but me to secure an outlet to charge their phones.
This year I will get a cellphone, just need to phone and text tho..

Back