Weekend Open Forum: What in-vehicle technology do you use?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In-vehicle technology implementation has skyrocketed over the past several decades and even more rapidly over the past 10-20 years. It seems hard to believe that air bags have been around since the early 70s and advancements like electronic stability control, OnStar and GPS navigation have existed for over 15 years.

My family admittedly earned less income than most of my peers and as such, we never had a new car with any cutting-edge safety or luxury features. I can remember being the official map reader and direction giver during vacations when I was eight years old, well before consumer GPS technology was available. Many of our vehicles didn’t have air bags or other creature comforts like power windows or tape decks.

Safety features aside, a lot of in-car technology these days are targeted at user convenience. Wireless key fobs allow you to start your car without inserting a key, Bluetooth technology lets you talk on your mobile phone hands-free while driving, seat warmers keep your bottom toasty during chilly winter months and dedicated GPS navigation systems and smartphones help you get from point A to B with ease.

We would like to hear about what in-vehicle technology you use on a regular basis. Are you one of the millions that have purchased a dedicated GPS? Did your new car come with a navigation system pre-installed or perhaps you use your mobile phone for such tasks? What about keyless entry or ignitions systems? Or maybe you have a LoJack theft recovery system installed? Whatever it is, we want to hear about it!

Permalink to story.

I actually drive when I'm in my car. No technology that wasn't available 14 years ago when the car was built, except for a newer stereo with a USB port. A manual transmission (something I insist on) so I actually have to pay attention to my driving.

Ironically, I'm the same way at the moment. When I start travelling, I'm going to use a GPS system. But yeah. Same boat.

Remote start, GPS, and my iPod are the most frequently used gadgets, but I also have an OnStar FMV that I just purchased about a week ago. I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, other than setting it up, but I like the idea of having it in case I need it.

I installed a nettop in the van I bought back in April which I use as an MP3 server. The computer sits in the space where the 13" CRT television was (its a conversion van with a raised roof).

I have a super bright 900 lumen LED light that I mount to my mountain bike at night. It almost looks like a motorcycle is coming at ya. ;p

I have this really nifty Child Behavior Modification system (CBM). It employs I.I.H.T.S.T.C. (If I Have To Stop This Car) technology. It Works rather well:rolleyes:

red1776 said:
I have this really nifty Child Behavior Modification system (CBM). It employs I.I.H.T.S.T.C. (If I Have To Stop This Car) technology. It Works rather well:rolleyes:
+1

Anyways my vehicle is a mid/late 90s model so I don't have some of these more advanced/electronic "creature comforts." It does give me an excuse to burn some CDs now and then, though since I have a tape deck I should just use an MP3 player... On unfamiliar road trips I use a portable GPS unit.

Mine uses gasoline, air, and DC power to create combustion, propelling my car forward. Oh, and power windows.

Nothing here except a radio that sometimes works, and crank windows. And a regular key - useful for those -30C days. I've always wondered how those new push button starters handle difficult starts later in the car's life (mine is going on 14 now). Interestingly, the only time it has not been able to start (ever) is when the door was covered in 4 inches of ice and I couldn't get in....

Oh, and no alarm. No mp3, GPS or anything. If I want the fancy computerized equipment, I use my PC :)

only mp3-player, but rare. and the car has only abs and central locking. and is good simple like this, yet a usb port(for music) would have been better.

I use my Thunderbold for GPS/Navigation, Bluetooth/Music playing and hands free cell thru a Moto Roadster. I'm in the middle of nowhere so I can keep it on the same FM channel for a 100 mile radius of so.

Back