Weekend Open Forum: What online subscription services are you paying for?

Jos

Staff

open forum

The subscription model is everywhere these days; music, games, movies, TV shows, software -- you name it. While it has its advantages -- like having access to whatever song you can think of without spending a fortune on building up your library or always running the latest version of an app without worrying about updates -- not everyone if fond of recurring charges, and at the end of the day, not really owning any content or programs.

Out of the gamut of online subscription services I’m only using Spotify right now and it’s worth every penny. I also have Instant Video as a byproduct of my Amazon Prime membership but I never, ever use it.

What about you: What online subscription services are you currently paying for? Has it changed the way you consume digital goods -- as in, no longer buying music or movies ‘a la carte’?

Permalink to story.

I'm currently sitting at just paying for WoW - I use my friend's Netflix account here and there. For anything else, I tend to use... other means.. to acquire media content. So not too bad. :)

Only Netflix and exchange data feeds.

Netflix itself has caused me to ditch most standard TV programming. Instead of waiting each week for some show to air, I just wait for it to be uploaded to Netlfix and watch commercial free.

Nothing anymore... I want media, not streaming content... If I did go back to Netflix, it would be for DVD/BR by mail only. Even TWC's 30/5M plan won't stream cleanly... Though that's a problem with them and this area. Still, I want real 1080 blurays when possible to rent and I was with Blockbuster, so at this point I give up. Can't afford to go back to Netflix right now and there is no other service. I am a member with Amazon Prime but only watch the same free stuff there. Still same streaming issues.

I use usenetserver.com at 14.99/month. I also subscribe to Netflix, and Safari books online 9.99/month for 5 books at a time. If I could only keep one I would keep Usenet. Can someone recommend a cheaper service for Usenet?

Spotify! I was a little reluctant at first but now I can't live without it.

I also subscribe to an educational site and a texture database but I don't know if those really qualify...

I use usenetserver.com at 14.99/month. I also subscribe to Netflix, and Safari books online 9.99/month for 5 books at a time. If I could only keep one I would keep Usenet. Can someone recommend a cheaper service for Usenet?

I download from Usenet too and that is all I need, the rest I can watch for free in Hulu and listen to free Slacker Radio.

Since you asked for a cheaper Usenet provider, try Altopia (Altopia.com)

I have subscribed to HPs e-ink service. For a fixed monthly amount you can print a set number of pages and HP monitor the ink levels and send you a replacement cartridge as needed. Up to a months unused pages roll forward. Prices are very reasonable. Only available at the moment on a small range of printers though.

I'm sorely tempted to resub to a Sony online game next month because their going to let a single subscription grant full access to ALL their MMOs. I'm pretty sure some other Korean outfits are already doing this but it should really be the norm industry-wide. I can't justify $13-15 a month for one game, but for three or four? Its worth a single mth just for curiosity's sake. Other than that I can't think of a single online serevice worth paying for. Well, maybe Usenet if I had better Internet.

Netflix and Hulu Plus, but now that my ISP has data caps I probably won't have them for long.

Paying for? Well I pay my ISP if that counts. Apart from that I will not subscribe to any online services. If I can't get it free I don't bother with it. Hell I even refuse to pay for any app on my mobile devices.

I am, or will next month subscribe to MLB.com so I can watch almost every Chicago Cubs ball game.

Netflix.

I did pay for Hulu for a couple months simply because I forgot to cancel my free trial. My AppleTV won't let me watch any Hulu without a subscription, but during my subscription, I really could not find anything outside of being able to watch on my Apple TV that was worth it over 'free'. Perhaps I just don't know what I'm talking about here, but Hulu Plus seems like the greatest waste of money I have ever done for online purchases.

None because I'm el cheapo. I'm a magnet for almost anything free. but if Netflix is offered in the Philippines and my ISP will provide the bandwidth at no additional cost, then I'll be in.

I'm interested in political drama (house of cards), science fiction (helix, revolution, stargate), action/crime (24's jack bauer thingy, law and order), NBA (and no other sports), cartoons (the simpsons, futurama) and current affairs (CNN, BBC, PH tv news channels).

re-broadcast of u.s. tv shows over Philippine cable channels are sometimes delayed by two months to years. HD channels are a premium subscription. SD channels are for basic, el cheapo subscription.

Back