Weekend Open Forum: What phone security do you use?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

open forum

Like locking a car door, passwording my phone has always felt like it would only deter the weak willed. Nonetheless, earlier this year I decided a basic passcode was comforting enough for everyday life and started using a four-dot pattern lock, which quickly grew to six and then nine once each step became firmly ingrained.

For the second and a half it takes me to swipe through Android's lock screen, I don't see myself going passwordless again -- if nothing else, the obstacle keeps me from looking at my own phone too much. What type of security do you use on your phone and does it make you feel safe beyond a nosy sibling or spouse?

Permalink to story.

I don't carry a mobile phone with me. Seems like a pretty secure way of doing things. If I'm not at home, I'm at work, where there's a phone. If I'm not at work, I'm at home, where there's a phone. If I'm at neither of those places, chances are that I don't want anybody calling me.

@ Lurker101 - remind me of my grandpa, its sounds like you still living in 18th century that's ok but the author not asking people like you..

I'm using just simple pin code in my lumina920 for work, finger print on atrix 4g at home.

Galaxy Note 2 running CM 11 (KitKat)
4 digit pin for unlock and another 4 digit pin for Play Store purchases. Phone set to lock after 5mins.

Using Pins and ADM make me feel safer.

Even with a password, all one has to do is plug the phone into a computer and voila! Everything is at the thief's fingertips. So no, I don't feel secure at all.

Even with a password, all one has to do is plug the phone into a computer and voila! Everything is at the thief's fingertips. So no, I don't feel secure at all.

When I connect my phone to my PC it shows up, but when I double click on it, it says "Folder is Empty" when my phone is locked. ;)

Update: I did forget my ext SD card can be removed and viewed on a computer so I should encrypt it. Ooops. I could also go one step further and set up a SIM lock in case someone tries to change it.

Typically, I don't use security on my smartphone. Since nothing sensitive is stored on it, I feel passcoding it just creates more trouble than worth.

No security. You can easily crack the codes or bypass them altogether. I always have my phone either, in my work van (Dish), in my toolbelt, in my pocket, or in my ACU top (Army). Want it? get it from me first.

No security. You can easily crack the codes or bypass them altogether. I always have my phone either, in my work van (Dish), in my toolbelt, in my pocket, or in my ACU top (Army). Want it? get it from me first.

That's not true, and if you have the phone in your hands it can be stolen.
See: "Apple Picking"

That's not true, and if you have the phone in your hands it can be stolen.
See: "Apple Picking"

Never thought of that, good thing the majority of the time it stays in where I put it and use my BlueTooth.

Even if they hack the Bluetooth, setting up a security code for unlocking the phone is useless

EDIT:
Oh! I do have a kind of security on my phone, dunno if it works or not, but I have "Where's my Droid". I have tried the GPS, Ring, and flash, but never tried to wipe it via WMD Commander. It's not a lock screen, but if it gets stolen, I can wipe all data, send a message to my wife that the phone has been stolen from my phone, send its GPS coordinates in real time or via triangulation, other cool features.

3 years ago I used a passcode (android pattern lock) but than noticed that it hindered me from doing tasks at full speed like answering a sms or checking the weather (full speed as in one handed in 5 seconds). The only reason I kept the password on at the time was because of theft, or the occasional person getting a hold of my phone and snooping around. But after thought I came to conclusion that someone would only steal my phone is I allowed them to or gave them the opportunity I.e leaving it laying around. But I never do that. Also that the only thing I'm afraid for people to see are a few photos on my phone.

So for the past 3 years I have not had a lock on the lock screen, always kept my phone in my hand or right thigh pocket, and used a file locker/hider on those not so clean images.

Never thought of that, good thing the majority of the time it stays in where I put it and use my BlueTooth.

Even if they hack the Bluetooth, setting up a security code for unlocking the phone is useless

EDIT:
Oh! I do have a kind of security on my phone, dunno if it works or not, but I have "Where's my Droid". I have tried the GPS, Ring, and flash, but never tried to wipe it via WMD Commander. It's not a lock screen, but if it gets stolen, I can wipe all data, send a message to my wife that the phone has been stolen from my phone, send its GPS coordinates in real time or via triangulation, other cool features.

I'm interested in how you think its so easy to hack bluetooth and pin locks.
FYI, services like find my droid, adm, android lost, and find my phone are useless used on their own if the thief shuts off the gps and or location services before you could wipe it. That's where pins, encryption, and sim locks come in. ;)

Btw, remote wipes can be done anywhere you can get an internet connection. Waiting for wifey could be too late.

I have a Nexus 5. There is no SD card to speak of, the internal memory is encrypted with a PIN which is also the lock screen PIN, there is a SIM pin, and there's a Desktop Backup Password (you can set this under Developer Options) so if you want to adb backup you need that passphrase too, even if the phone is not at the lock screen.

I dont use password to unlock phone but pin code for sensitive apps like message, mail... Also, I encrypted private files or photos, videos. I use at least 6 numbers pin or password.

After setting up a passcode for a panimage tablet
for a friend & it later was given to me, & none of of remembering it, I've decided NO passcode on my iPhone 4. Its still sitting here, untouched. :)

Well I don't own a regular phone, I own an iphone and they don't get viruses or anything. I am not worried. Its by far and away the best and most secure phone on the market. its not like cheap Android phones that are full of security holes and very vunarable. I would never choose another phone.

Well I don't own a regular phone, I own an iphone and they don't get viruses or anything. I am not worried. Its by far and away the best and most secure phone on the market. its not like cheap Android phones that are full of security holes and very vunarable. I would never choose another phone.
Give it time, I'm sure there are hackers out here looking for a way in them :)

Ohhh, Guest. You're are so silly. I really hope that you're just being sarcastic. If it was so secure, why in the world does each revision get jailbroken the moment it's released lol.

I hope you are joking... ANY software can get a virus. I hate "Apple uber-enthusiasts", the main reason I hate apple products.

Back