TechSpot

Weekend Open Forum: What's on your Taskbar (or Dock)?

By Jos
Oct 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Despite their evolution evolution, the Windows Taskbar and OS X Dock at the core they are still all about being able to quickly launch your favorite or most frequently used applications and easily switch between open windows. What programs do...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,354   +402

Me first!

Windows Explorer, Google Chrome, Xonar Essence STX Audio Center, Ccleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag, SpyBot, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, Paint.net, Ventrilo Server, Calculator and Spotify.

Only one desktop icon - shortcut to my data drive (H). I like a tidy desktop and taskbar. One of the reasons the Windows 8 Metro UI drives me insane.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 381   +70

So this is prety much like a post your desktop thread.

4. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Enthusiast Posts: 133   +17

Google Chrome, Steam, Firefox, Ccleaner,Smart Defrag, Libre Office

5. colinf

colinf TS Rookie Posts: 43   +7

Winamp and Chrome pinned to task bar, plus no desktop icons at all

6. Windows Explorer, WMP for music, ComicRack for reading manga, Paint.net, Evernote, MPC Home Cinema, IE and Chrome for browsing.

7. Firefox, Chrome, tor, teamviewer, Remote desktop connection, putty, Outlook, notepadd++, Oracle Virtual box, VLC, steam, winamp, explorer, visual studio, calibre, whereisit, xampp, todolist, pcinventory list. I have 64 icons on desktop which I need to cleanup. No, I'm not listing them.

8. A squashed mosquito and what looks to be some snot.

9. Opera web browser on the task bar, various working, notes, downloads, dropbox, project shortcuts on my desktop (arranged in the corners). I Executor to run most applications so I don't really need taskbar clutter. Desktop shortcuts are a must for quick file copying etc.

10. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,565   +329

I've got Firefox, Chrome, Outlook, Word, Excel, Onenote, Fireworks, Sublime Text, Calc, Notepad, WinSCP, Hipchat, Trillian and Windows Explorer, in that order.

On my Mac I've got more or less the same combination of programs except for the Office software which absolutely stinks on that platform and some Mac replacements for the same functionality as above (e.g. Cyberduck instead of WinSCP).

11. Siavash

Siavash TS Member Posts: 48   +12

Linux : Konsole, Dolphin, Firefox, Thunderbird, Konversation, DeaDBeeF

Windows : Windows Explorer, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Windows Media Player

12. Bui Khac Tu

Bui Khac Tu TS Rookie

Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player, google Chrome.

13. Pale Moon, Windows Explorer, Total Commander, Winamp, MS Outlook, JDownloader

14. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

Windows explorer, powerpoint, itunes, word, chrome, steam, realtemp, teamspeak, and adobe edge animate

15. Explorer, for various folders; control panel; task manager, to see what's goin on; 2 opera browsers, for the private mode; firefox, for the extensions; mpc home cinema; utorrent; notepad++; virtualbox, for more privacy and don't mess with the host; sandboxie, to don't trash the system; calculator; windows media center; blender; audacity; picasa; copernic desktop search; foxit; crapcleaner; and jdownloader.
    I think that's it - for now.

16. Ma_ga

Ma_ga TS Rookie Posts: 39

I use Windows 7 Bar, but ala XP (no smart bar), it's configured like this:
    Bar 1 <-> Windows 7 Bar <-> Bar 2 <-> Bar 3 <-> Bar 4
    Bar 1 [No label, text, large icons] = Bookshelf, Steam, LibreOffice, GuildWars 2
    Bar 2 [No label, no text, small icons] = Calc, DTools, Fraps, OnlyStopWatch, a text file.
    Bar 3 [No label, no text, small icons] = 5 shorcut to Backup Folders (not mine), KeePass
    Bar 4 [No label, text, large icons] = 2 Shorcuts to folders that I use for work and downloads.

The size of the taskbar is 2 heights, never combine.

17. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,940   +379

My start button (which isnt going anywhere) and mozilla firefox. Helps keep organized for me to not have stuff all down there.

18. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

Total Commander, IE9, Firefox, Opera, Windows Live Mail, StarTrekOnline, LordOfTheRingsOnline

And of coarse the Recycle Bin on desktop.
    I'm with ya, TomSEA!!

psycros likes this.
  19. Nothing. Windows indexes everything, and that eliminates the need to actually look for something.

20. MUHAMMAD KALEEM

MUHAMMAD KALEEM TS Rookie

Moxilla firefox. skype, windows media player. that's it.

21. Jeffrey Hunt

Jeffrey Hunt TS Rookie

Windows File Explorer, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Hyper-V Manager, Hyper-V Virtual Machine Connection

22. dcnc123

dcnc123 TS Member Posts: 52

Skype, xampp, eclipse, netbeans, virtualbox and most importantly chrome :))

23. baN893

baN893 TS Member Posts: 83   +10

Just Google Chrome and Skype. I feel Steam deserves a spot there too now after reading some of these.

24. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 731   +230

Yeah, its so much easer to have to remember the exact spelling of every program and make sure you type it in flawlessly than to click on a single icon. Just like how a handcrank is so much better than turning an ignition key to start your horseless carriage.

davislane1 and KbloodyK like this.
  25. KbloodyK

KbloodyK TS Member Posts: 24

I got Google Chrome, Windows Explorer, Word, Kies, Task Manager, Free Make video converter, and Utorrent. (in that order)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.