Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite gamepad?

By Matthew
Nov 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. While I've spent more hours gaming with a keyboard and mouse than any other input devices, some genres are just too awkward for me to play without a controller. I'm lousy at driving and platforming titles to begin with, but...

Read more
  2. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,190   +444

The N64 gamepad followed by Sony's current DS3. The only thing I would change about the current DS3, which I believe has been addressed in the upcoming DS4, is the stiffness of the sticks. The DS3's sticks have always felt a bit "loose" to me.
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  3. Steam Controller, despite the fact that I have yet to try it. In the mean time, keyboard and mouse.
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

Xbox. mostly because they grip well (I wish the handles were a little thicker) and because the josyticks are more stiff than the PS3. But its all preference.
  5. Mavrickx888

Mavrickx888 TechSpot Member Posts: 64   +9

Nintendo 64's controller takes the cake for me. It may look ridiculous, but for some reason it has always been the most natural feeling controller I've ever used.
    davislane1 likes this.
  6. In no particular order:

N64
    SNES
    any of the dual shock
  7. N64 Game Pad, are you serious dude?
    coppersloane likes this.
  8. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,190   +444

Yes. The stick may not have been the best in the world, but it is by far the most comfortable controller I've ever used.
    coppersloane likes this.
  9. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Another vote for the N64.

Not a fan of the current gamepads, the DualShocks probably look the best aesthetically but aren't ergonomic at all while the the Xbox has always felt too chunky.
    coppersloane likes this.
  10. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Intellivision gamepad. Wish someone would reinvent those.
  11. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

My all time favorite controller was the Space Orb 360. I wish there was an updated version of that style controller. :)

12. coppersloane

coppersloane TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

Dreamcast. I love those round controllers. Genesis had an earlier version packaged with Nights. Plus that little LCD thing you could detach could be integrated into games such as in Sonic Adventure where you could raise a Chao pet like a Tamagotchi. Points for innovation. I was fond of the Saturn gamepad as well; nice combination of curvature and classic horizontal architecture.
  13. coppersloane

coppersloane TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

All-time favorite controller is the keyboard/mouse combination. For all games but third person action titles, it offers the best precision, period.
  14. XBOX 360 controller is my go-to controller, for its looks, its shape and its triggers.
    I hate every Playstation controller ever made.
  15. Goin old school...the Atari 2600 joystick.
    mrtraver likes this.
  16. Panda218

Panda218 Newcomer, in training Posts: 95   +13

Came across an Intellivision 2 years ago when going through my grandmas basement. I laughed my *** off at the sight of the controller, but once I had it up and running I was amazed at how much I actually enjoyed playing with it.
    Matthew likes this.
  17. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

Original xbox controller.
  18. +1 for the N64 controller, it was a pioneer of it's time, and I think if you take the center joystick away and re-arrange the buttons slightly you'll find it's still similar to what we use today.

I don't think you can compare a full keyboard considering you have so many different options and macros to use.

Hopefully, my future favorite will be nothing short of the Oculus Rift combined with the Omni Treadmill and a new-age controller.

19. jester376

jester376 TechSpot Member Posts: 53

Sony PS1 Pad for sure!
  20. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,573   +47

Always preferred Sony's Playstation offerings in terms of gamepads.
  21. N64 was and is the best
  22. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TechSpot Booster Posts: 242   +42

Sony PS2 dual shock for face buttons, shoulder buttons and D-pad.
    X360 for triggers, analog sticks, weight, size, overall feeling and durability. Those guys are highlanders. And if you use this, it's boss. Really, second to none.
    OortCloud likes this.
  23. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Dualshock 2 and 3. I play certain N64 games competitively, especially online and my grip on an n64 controller mirrors that of the way most controllers are held.
  24. Xbox for pc. only console for real gamers! ps=bah. xbox=bah. pc=gaming for life!
  25. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,717   +873

N64 gamepad.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.