Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite gamepad?

Matthew DeCarlo

open forum

While I've spent more hours gaming with a keyboard and mouse than any other input devices, some genres are just too awkward for me to play without a controller. I'm lousy at driving and platforming titles to begin with, but especially so if I'm trying to WASD my way through levels. However inept I may be at keyboard racing, my hands go from willing to weary in zero seconds flat if I pick up a gamepad.

It's almost like we weren't meant to maintain an iron grip on plastic all day, but maybe I'm just a wimp. I haven't used a comfortable controller since the Dreamcast's cheesy third-party AstroPad, though Microsoft seems to have found a happy medium with its Xbox offerings, even if I wish they were a little bigger. Do you have a favorite gamepad and would you change anything about today's designs?

Permalink to story.

The N64 gamepad followed by Sony's current DS3. The only thing I would change about the current DS3, which I believe has been addressed in the upcoming DS4, is the stiffness of the sticks. The DS3's sticks have always felt a bit "loose" to me.

Steam Controller, despite the fact that I have yet to try it. In the mean time, keyboard and mouse.

Xbox. mostly because they grip well (I wish the handles were a little thicker) and because the josyticks are more stiff than the PS3. But its all preference.

Nintendo 64's controller takes the cake for me. It may look ridiculous, but for some reason it has always been the most natural feeling controller I've ever used.

Another vote for the N64.

Not a fan of the current gamepads, the DualShocks probably look the best aesthetically but aren't ergonomic at all while the the Xbox has always felt too chunky.

My all time favorite controller was the Space Orb 360. I wish there was an updated version of that style controller. :)

Dreamcast. I love those round controllers. Genesis had an earlier version packaged with Nights. Plus that little LCD thing you could detach could be integrated into games such as in Sonic Adventure where you could raise a Chao pet like a Tamagotchi. Points for innovation. I was fond of the Saturn gamepad as well; nice combination of curvature and classic horizontal architecture.

All-time favorite controller is the keyboard/mouse combination. For all games but third person action titles, it offers the best precision, period.

XBOX 360 controller is my go-to controller, for its looks, its shape and its triggers.
I hate every Playstation controller ever made.

Intellivision gamepad. Wish someone would reinvent those.

Came across an Intellivision 2 years ago when going through my grandmas basement. I laughed my *** off at the sight of the controller, but once I had it up and running I was amazed at how much I actually enjoyed playing with it.

+1 for the N64 controller, it was a pioneer of it's time, and I think if you take the center joystick away and re-arrange the buttons slightly you'll find it's still similar to what we use today.

I don't think you can compare a full keyboard considering you have so many different options and macros to use.

Hopefully, my future favorite will be nothing short of the Oculus Rift combined with the Omni Treadmill and a new-age controller.

Sony PS2 dual shock for face buttons, shoulder buttons and D-pad.
X360 for triggers, analog sticks, weight, size, overall feeling and durability. Those guys are highlanders. And if you use this, it's boss. Really, second to none.

Dualshock 2 and 3. I play certain N64 games competitively, especially online and my grip on an n64 controller mirrors that of the way most controllers are held.

Xbox for pc. only console for real gamers! ps=bah. xbox=bah. pc=gaming for life!

Back