Weekend Open Forum: Where do you buy online?

By Julio Franco
Nov 27, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Tech enthusiasts were among the first consumers targeted by dedicated online retailers and since brick and mortars charged hefty margins, online shopping was made even more attractive from the get go. Early etailers included the ubiquitous Newegg, which now exceeds $2 billion a year in sales, Buy.com, TigerDirect, and many sites dedicated to photography and audio equipment. As you might recall, PC manufacturers like Dell and Gateway were also quick to take full advantage of online ordering and made a huge asset out of it.

Read the whole story
  2. Ebay, Abebooks, U-mart, Steam, Impulse, itunes, EB Games, Pop-Cap, JB HiFi, Miele, and an endlessly growing number of smaller online household goods and software retailers (curse all those different passwords!). I didn't even realize they still had real stores out there.
  3. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 864   +127

I do as much shopping online as I can, because it's where I find the best deals usually.
    The online stores I go to with relative frequency are...
    Banana Republic/Gap
    Ebay
    Steam
    New Egg
    Tiger Direct
    Amazon
    Woot
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

Same as treeski. I think with the exception of food, pretty much everything that I need to function as a human being is purchased online. To be honest, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than go to a mall. ;)
  5. ruben1992

ruben1992 Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

Steam, Scorptec (online Aussie PC retailer), iTunes and Ebay for selling usually.
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,277   +22

Steam, Souq.com (our local version of eBay) and Fry's.com occasionally.
  7. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,572   +41

Newegg if I want something new and don't want to mess around. electronics
    Ebay used and new
    Amazon if i cant get something cheaper on ebay
    For games the above 2 or I will follow whatever link the games main site takes me too.
  8. spikester48661

spikester48661 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 103

For PC parts Ebay and Newegg.And for whatever things I go to Ebay.
  9. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 880   +52

Ncix, Amazon.ca, Steam, Ebay.ca and sometimes Chapters.ca
  10. Johny47

Johny47 Newcomer, in training Posts: 157

I usually shop many places, I mainly like and trust Amazon and Play.com for most stuff but I shop at places like Ebuyer and Overclockers aswell for PC hardware if there's deals.
  11. codefeenix

codefeenix Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

newegg, steam, ebay, amazon, vat19 and sometimes D&H.(although 99.9% of people cant shop there :D they usually beat newegg in prices.)
  12. Korn007

Korn007 TechSpot Member

Steam, Amazon, Newegg, Ebay if I cant find it there then it isnt something I want or it doesnt exist.
  13. edison5do

edison5do Newcomer, in training Posts: 239

Amazon, Ebay, Newegg, Steam, and just like "Korn007", if I dont get it there, just stop serching...

14. viperpfl

viperpfl TechSpot Member Posts: 40

I buy at Amazon, Newegg, NFL.com, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Electronic Arts, 1-800 Flowers, Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, Wal Mart, and Best Buy. I did buy from Circuit City before they got bought by Tiger Direct.
  15. Yad

Yad Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

Ebay only since they ship worldwide :)
  16. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 900

Newegg, TigerDirect, Ebay, Amazon
  17. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

Newegg, FrozenCPU, and Bed bath & Beyond....oh dear...I've said to much.
  18. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Same as treeski.
  19. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,012   +714

No red, you've said, "too" much!
  20. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194

Mercadolibre Argentina!
  21. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,280   +180

Newegg, Directron.com, Amazon, Thetoolwarehouse.net, Snapon.com, Matcotools.com, Mactools.com, Toolsource.com, Helminc.com (for factory manuals), mscdirect.com and a bunch of others sporadically.
  22. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

I order everything online, with the exception of fresh meat, which I like to view and choose myself. All my other food shopping is done online, and I regularly use amazon, ebay, etc.

About the only thing I tend to go to a shop for is milk and bread. :haha:
  23. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,012   +714

?Hay un lugar como esto? Se suene mas como una eslogn de una revolucion.... "Compraremos en libertad, para siempre...!
  24. DRoc28

DRoc28 Newcomer, in training

thanks for all the great sites everybody.
    I never used sites such as Woot, Vat19..
    good posts.
  25. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,062   +69

Let me see... My favorite online shops are Newegg and Thinkgeek for techie stuff, but I would say most of my money is spent on my Mustang at rpmoutlet.com, classicdesignconcepts.com, and americanmuscle.com. This year alone I have probably spent close to $6k on parts for the stang. At the egg, and thinkgeek, I've barely scratched $1200.

For food, clothing, and furniture I shop the old fashioned way, though occasionally I peruse Ikea's website.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.