Weekend Open Forum: Where do you buy online?

Julio Franco

Staff member

Tech enthusiasts were among the first consumers targeted by dedicated online retailers and since brick and mortars charged hefty margins, online shopping was made even more attractive from the get go. Early etailers included the ubiquitous Newegg, which now exceeds $2 billion a year in sales, Buy.com, TigerDirect, and many sites dedicated to photography and audio equipment. As you might recall, PC manufacturers like Dell and Gateway were also quick to take full advantage of online ordering and made a huge asset out of it.

As online shopping became more mainstream, and for many a necessity, dozens of star retailers on many different categories have emerged. You have Zappos for buying shoes, Steam/Impulse for games, iTunes for music, Expedia/Orbitz or any other of the numerous travel sites, Fandango for movie tickets, and the list goes on. Amazon has also remained a pioneer in the industry and today you can buy nearly anything you could possibly want from their site, either direct or from smaller retailers using Amazon's impeccable logistics.

As the holiday shopping season gets rolling, our question for you is: How much do you rely on online retailers and where do you prefer to buy stuff? Not only tech, but things in general like clothes, gifts for family and friends, food, flowers, anything you are used to buy online these days. Even if it's a local store, we want to hear about it. Discuss.

* Graph used for illustration purposes only. Source: Lifehacker, Permuto, US Census Bureau.

Permalink to story.

Ebay, Abebooks, U-mart, Steam, Impulse, itunes, EB Games, Pop-Cap, JB HiFi, Miele, and an endlessly growing number of smaller online household goods and software retailers (curse all those different passwords!). I didn't even realize they still had real stores out there.

I do as much shopping online as I can, because it's where I find the best deals usually.
The online stores I go to with relative frequency are...
Banana Republic/Gap
Ebay
Steam
New Egg
Tiger Direct
Amazon
Woot

Same as treeski. I think with the exception of food, pretty much everything that I need to function as a human being is purchased online. To be honest, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than go to a mall. ;)

Newegg if I want something new and don't want to mess around. electronics
Ebay used and new
Amazon if i cant get something cheaper on ebay
For games the above 2 or I will follow whatever link the games main site takes me too.

I usually shop many places, I mainly like and trust Amazon and Play.com for most stuff but I shop at places like Ebuyer and Overclockers aswell for PC hardware if there's deals.

newegg, steam, ebay, amazon, vat19 and sometimes D&H.(although 99.9% of people cant shop there :D they usually beat newegg in prices.)

Steam, Amazon, Newegg, Ebay if I cant find it there then it isnt something I want or it doesnt exist.

I buy at Amazon, Newegg, NFL.com, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Electronic Arts, 1-800 Flowers, Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, Wal Mart, and Best Buy. I did buy from Circuit City before they got bought by Tiger Direct.

Newegg, Directron.com, Amazon, Thetoolwarehouse.net, Snapon.com, Matcotools.com, Mactools.com, Toolsource.com, Helminc.com (for factory manuals), mscdirect.com and a bunch of others sporadically.

I order everything online, with the exception of fresh meat, which I like to view and choose myself. All my other food shopping is done online, and I regularly use amazon, ebay, etc.

About the only thing I tend to go to a shop for is milk and bread. :haha:

Let me see... My favorite online shops are Newegg and Thinkgeek for techie stuff, but I would say most of my money is spent on my Mustang at rpmoutlet.com, classicdesignconcepts.com, and americanmuscle.com. This year alone I have probably spent close to $6k on parts for the stang. At the egg, and thinkgeek, I've barely scratched $1200.

For food, clothing, and furniture I shop the old fashioned way, though occasionally I peruse Ikea's website.

Back