Weekend Open Forum: Your most outdated software?

Matthew DeCarlo

Software developers have a knack for shooting themselves in the foot. In the name of progress, they introduce irrelevant features, clunky interfaces and shady monetization schemes. Before you know it, your favorite program is a warped husk of its former self, so you cling to the version you love -- even if it's a little archaic. Such is the case with several TechSpot staffers.

For instance, Steve edits his awesome hardware review pictures with a 14-year-old copy of Paint Shop Pro, while I still fire up FrontPage 2003. It's not quite the same, but Shawn uses the old school Windows Classic theme on Windows 7, and he prefers individual IM clients such as AIM over something like Pidgin. What outdated software do you refuse to upgrade and why?

Permalink to story.

I agree with using old versions of PSP - I actually have a portable version I wheel out when I need to do some photo editing.

My old skool software which is installed on ALL of my machines is Acdsee 9... after v9 they screwed up the look of the thing, removed functionality etc etc. Although if I were to be brutally honest, the best version was Acdsee 5 which bundled with picaview (right click image preview) saw me through many years of photo viewing!

Hey... if it still works, use what familiar~

As for old software... I think I've moved on for the most part on all my software... but for the longest time I remember using winzip 95, Photoshop 5.5, etc.

I miss Imageready, I should install CS2 just for imageready. XD

I still prefer LOTUS123 and use on XP 32 bit. Use Open Office Calc on Windows 7 64 bit. Open Office has a long way to go.
Felix Sanibel FL

Great question for an open topic forum. For me, my favorite is Print Artist Classic, version 3 of what is now morphed into version 24. PA was bundled with an Epson 500 printer in about 1996 and was phenomenal in its simplicity and power for graphic and text manipulation. While PA Classic won't run on Windows 7 and I've long ago graduated to CorelDraw, whenever I fire up XP for a quick hit production, I still marvel at how neat PA Classic still is.

Wow, no kidding Steve? Hehe, does W98 in virtual machine counts? I guess the oldest I have is Turbo C, gives me less headaches than Dev-C and is lighter than other programs like Eclipse, Visual Studio [damn, that one sucks in stability and performance] or NetBeans.

- ModPlugPlayer for playing my tracker/MOD music perfectly. Surprisingly still works well on Win7.
- AutoCAD 2006 over the newer AutoCADs.
- I still use the now defunct CDisplay program for reading comics in convenient CBZ and CBR formats.
- For the longest time, while people were using Media Player Classic, I just ended up installing my codecs and filters correctly and used the Windows Media Player 6.4 still available on WinXP (type "mplayer2" in your Run box). I only ended up moving to MPC after a long while because of some rather minor improvements over what I mainly used it for. And on Win7 machines.

Audigrabber 1.83 SE, Winamp 2.95rc, ModPlug Player, MS Bookshelf (98?), KNot v2.04b (cyloft software).

Program that i just left (~6 months) Flashget 2.x, Nero 6, Nokia Monitor Test.

That i remember.

It's like the developer didn't care anymore for performance or "tiny" programs.

Microsoft Streets 98 & Corel Photo Paint (I think version 6)

However I am using Paint.NET more often these days.

Office 2007 (picked it up for $50 3 years ago) before that Office 2000. I remember acdsee and PSP, great programs until their developers bloated them.

I think this kind of nostalgia is the result of either a lack of will or a compulsive inability to learn new things. As with the infamous "Women and the VCR" ordeal, or old people and... well, everything. There's absolutely nothing some age-old lump of sofware-cancer can do that the newest version available today cannot!

The ONLY thing I can possibly think of, is drivers (in certain scenarios). Sometimes new drivers are bugged or don't perform as well as older drivers. But give it a few months and there will be another driver version out which fixes the problem.

I'm not even gonna start on what kind of psychosis makes you guys use Windows Classic Theme. AMG it's so haxxorz! Please... :)

i still use office 2002 cause i was last non fisher price looking office version i also was trained and passed the core office certification for all of office. also still use windows xp pro sp3 on two labtops cause they from 2004 and well not upgrade to windows 7. i still a few games that i got from 1995-1998 on virtural os windows ME

Photoshop 7 - because it works and it is just too expensive to keep upgrading.
and
Office XP - because newer versions suck. MS are the worst for "updates" that don't upgrade.

No start button in Win8....hahahaha....so that's progress ? Really ?

Photoshop 7 because its the best version. Fastest and most efficient feel. Its open right now even.

I have a "old" ThinkPad made by IBM back in 1998 that my Mom gave me when she got a new laptop when I was in elementary school. Still works, the battery barely holds a charge though, and it's been surpassed in every measurable test.

Call me sentimental but it was the first laptop I ever had and I don't have the heart to throw it out because of that.

Nero 6 as all the other versions after that got blotted and lost the point. Do you want to burn CD/DVD or have all this junk that come with the newer versions.

I'm still using a 2002 version of OmniGraffle (although now I have to run it on an old iBook, as OSX 10.7 no longer supports PPC binaries). I never updated this version, but not because the new version has a bad interface or anything, but just because the first version was just perfect!

Back