Weekend tech reading: Carmack's VR keynote, why Microsoft wants Minecraft, India's Mars orbiter pics

By Matthew
Sep 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. There are two sorts of people in this world: those that have listened to John Carmack talk and those who are unenlightened. One of the key minds behind Doom and Quake is a most unlikely orator, but one who has...

Read more
  2. stansfield

stansfield TS Enthusiast Posts: 76   +14

What a hideous start screen!!!!
  3. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,805   +483

I love listening to John Carmack. He always manages to come out being funny and intelligent at the same time and most importantly very sincere. With him pioneering VR I'm sure we'll get to see amazing things in the future, when technology won't be just "good enough".
    9Nails likes this.
  4. Seeing all the youtube comments of the dummies swooning over his "tech talk" is pretty funny. There's nothing overly clever or technical, he's just waffling on and on about details that are pretty boring tbh. It's like listening to some master baker babbling on about yeast temperatures and the composition of the flour he uses.
    Sure he's a very smart guy but it's boring as hell, even to someone like me that is interested in this stuff.
    All I got out of it was the overwhelming urge to go and take his lunch money from him.
  5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,292   +55

Yes, let's print the payroll on windows 9, a phone os.
  6. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,805   +483

I don't think you understand. if you want something similar to steve jobs, all you have to do is listen to the CEO of oculus at the beginning of the rift keynote. you listen to Carmak for the technical details and how he works. Carmak isn't recognized as a genius because he created games, it's because every time he did something it was new, innovative and generally a technical marvel. being able to talk like that on stage also helps with his image.
    In this keynote he explains how in one single year he learned from 0 about programming on android and improved the android OS by himself. Samsung doesn't update a smartphone OS just before a launch because of some small changes.

PS: did you notice that he talked for over 90m without having a presentation?