TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: How to run Chrome OS as a virtual machine

By Matthew
Nov 22, 2009
  1. How-to: run Chrome OS as a virtual machine Itching for some Chrome OS? Well, we all are, but you might be a bit disappointed at the fact that while Google has open-sourced its progress on the OS so far, the version that is currently available for download seems eons behind what Google showed off at its event yesterday. Still, if you just have to see it for yourself, the good news is that it's a total breeze to get a virtual machine running. Engadget

Read the whole story

2. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

I tried this a couple days ago, and honestly have not found any real use for it. It is really lacking on features and customization at the moment- you even can no change your screen resolution- so there is no point to using it if you already have windows up and running. The one plus is boot time- it takes just a few seconds to get to the login screen. If it was installed natively, instead of in a virtual machine, this would make it great if you just wanted to check your email or browse the internet, because you would not have to wait for windows to get going.

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

Nvidia somewhat invited this critique when they accused AMD of forcing DX11 on the public and tried to change the discussion to GPGPU, on top of Fermi being nondescript and late to the market.

4. Fermi appears to be aimed at Larrabee. So gaming is very much likely to stay , just a change in its approach. Tegra and Ion seem to confirm that too.

5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

I think that as well, I think Nvidias big mistake is to go half way between serving gamers, and looking forward to GPGPU computing which i think is a ways off from the desktop users consciousness .

6. kuyper

kuyper TS Rookie

For those who try this in VMWare - take note of the subtle warning in the instructions and set your network mode to Bridged instead of NAT - I missed that at first and could not authenticate.

Once done, it was simple, but as mentioned, not much functionality and the fact that the screen res is fixed is certainly sub-optimal.

Pretty nice chess game available tho :)

7. lupinnktp

lupinnktp TS Rookie Posts: 44

Nvidia is somewhat still in its process of identifying the market it wants to target. Gamers and GPGPU are 2 different markets with different needs. guess you could pick 1 and be real good at it, or be mediocre at both. I hope we will have more to see from Nvidia when ATI is moving fast ahead

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.