TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Looking ahead at Microsoft's future

By Matthew
Jul 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has always been a giant castle with many fortresses. Internal battles and power struggles have led individual divisions to focus on their own success to the detriment of collaboration. Over the years, it's resulted in a number of false...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,684   +86

Ballmer did a better job as VP then as CEO. Can't change the OS into more of Smart OS over night people are still use to Windows 7 way. Windows 8 - Store app and it's applets that don't work after you update and make improvements on the OS, causes them to stop loading. Even they download AppFix still doesn't fix the issue. Applet tiles will animate and show what they're suppose to do but won't load and run in full screen. Hopefully Windows 8.1 addresses that issue as well.

So much of a rush to get out Surface tablets and Windows 8 OS to run them on, Balmer didn't think inside box and more out of it because you have more and more who want to go back the Windows 7. Those that stick it out with Windows 8 issues just have to play it by ear with it until the fix comes to help them.

3. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

I haven't had any of the problems you speak of...

I'm not saying they don't exist, but obviously they aren't so widespread as to warrant abandoning the OS on the basis of those problems.

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,684   +86

No, not saying to abandon the OS, but there are many with Windows RT issues and Windows 8 and Pro too. Not going to effect all but a lot are having issues. Microsoft knows there are problems but in all you can only buy a new system with Windows 8 on there right now unless you had private company build Windows 7 box for you instead. I run 7 and 8 here.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

But yet abandoning Windows 95 through 7 style computing was warranted, all because of touch capabilities which were (and still to this day) not widespread either. I'm all for a balance between both, moving forward without abandoning either one.

I'm not blind, I can see touch capabilities is the future. But I'm not ready for a touch oriented OS and may not be ready for several more years (dependent on pricing of touch capable monitors). Even when I am ready for a touch oriented OS, I will not be buying into the Fisher Price design strategy.

I can not speculate on Microsoft's future. I can however speculate on my future with Microsoft, if they don't consider both desktop and tablet users as non-preschool consumers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.