Weekend tech reading: Original Crysis coming to consoles

Matthew DeCarlo

Original Crysis coming to consoles It is rare that part 1 of a series comes out after the sequel, but on consoles, Crytek is about to make it happen.  It has recently been discovered that the ESRB has given the original 'Crysis' for both PS3 and Xbox 360 a 'Mature' rating (go ahead and do the search).  This information can be interpreted as nothing other a confirmation that a console version of Crysis is imminent. Attack of the Fanboy

Dial-up modem noise 700% slower becomes ambient opus Remember that Bieber track that turned into a symphonic masterpiece once it was slowed down 800%? Yes? No? Well you might as well kill yourself, Brian Eno, because here's an old-school dial-up modem slowed down 700% , becoming an epic soundscape of terrifying drones and robotic wails, punctuated by tsunamis of static. The Consumerist

RIAA: Anonymous, LulzSec hacks prove need for PROTECT IP Act! Leave it to the RIAA to rehash the usual bait-and-switch tactics of old when it comes to convincing the public that its own selfish commercial interests are really for the public good. In a posting on its site it asks that Senators don’t waver on pending legislation that would require ISPs to block copyright infringing websites. ZeroPaid

Time-lapse video shows 48 hours in the life of an indie developer This is a good time to be an indie developer. There are multiple ways to sell your game to the public, getting the attention of the press is at least a little easier, and there are a few games that have broken out to become massive hits. Look at Minecraft or Super Meat Boy for examples of what is possible from small teams with big ideas. Ars Technica

Creepy, crusty, crumbling: illegal tour of abandoned Six Flags New Orleans Like little kids, we all experience a happy rush, a delighted thrill, when going to play at an amusement park. Yet when an amusement park is abandoned and an eerie silence settles over the rusty and crusty decay, the setting seems to twist the atmosphere of enthusiastic excitement into a suffocating blanket of dread. Lovethesepics

Advanced circuits tour Last year around mid-November Eric and I (Base2's owners) were in the Denver area and were fortunate enough to be able to visit the circuit board manufacturer that we frequently use - Advanced Circuits. They were kind enough to give us a tour of their facility and explain the manufacturing process every step of the way - and let us take pictures! Base2

Developer error: The most dangerous programming mistakes Programmers often like to talk about how a new tool or a new version of their favorite platform will make coding faster, easier, or more elegant. Although this may be true, it ignores just how difficult and painstaking the process of developing quality software actually is, no matter what tools are used. InfoWorld

Despite controversy, federal, state wiretaps on the rise While their over-use is controversial federal and state requests for court permission to intercept or wiretap electronic communications increased 34% in 2010 over 2009 with California, New York, and New Jersey accounting for 68% of all wire taps approved by state judges. NetworkWorld

Facebook engineers bring Google+ Circles to Facebook They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. While Google+ has been criticized for being a clone of Facebook, it implements a few features better than its counterpart. A team of Facebook engineers have ported one such Google+ feature, called Circles, to Facebook. ZDNet

Microsoft to merge GFW and Xbox.com Microsoft is to merge Games For Windows Marketplace into Xbox.com. According to the brief announcement on the Games For Windows site, its PC digital delivery store will be absorbed into its console hub "soon". EuroGamer

Why did L.A. Noire take seven years to makeAll eleven ex-employees who went on record blamed many of Team Bondi's problems on the studio's leadership. One programmer cited unrealistic goals, unreasonable deadlines and verbally abusive behaviour. IGN

Permalink to story.

I hate to be a broken record, but...
PC gaming isn't dying, it's being murdered systematically.

Crysis on a console, oh gawd it's going to look ugly! Especially with limited memory, there going to have to dumb the the physics big time to fit it on the 360's super old inferior hardware!

Really liked your Six Flags coverage. I worked at Great America in Silicon Valley (Santa Clara, CA); its sister duplicate park Great America in Illinois, near where I live now, is owned by Six Flags. I guess I can truthfully say I worked in Silicon Valley.

I can see why people don't like the crysis thing, but isn't anyone worried about the RIAA thing?

Those Six Flags photos were awesome. Talk about a ready-made movie set for a monster (zombie) flick!

bet crysis on consoles will look like crysis at medium settings on pc

yRaz said:
I can see why people don't like the crysis thing, but isn't anyone worried about the RIAA thing?

Everyone is more worried about how Crysis will look on their consoles. Only when some law passes that inconveniences them will they moan and ***** about it. It is human nature.

Kudos to you yRaz for not having an "OOOO... shiney" moment and being more aware about the world around you.

it saddens me that in our world the most important thing techspot thinks we are concerned about is a damn video game. the RIAA story needs to be at the top, followed by the wiretap story.

it saddens me that in our world the most important thing techspot thinks we are concerned about is a damn video game. the RIAA story needs to be at the top, followed by the wiretap story.
Well, that the RIAA is, and has been, a problem for some time isn't exactly news.

But, since this site is loaded with teen age gamers, perhaps the "Crysis" story is.

Anyway, the RIAA is like the weather, everybody talks about it, but nobody does anything about it. Unless you count the endless arguing over, "that isn't stealing, that's infringement" that ensues with this type of story. Which is mostly propagated by a bunch of loudmouthed torrent leeches anyway. After which, you'll find them at our, "Virus and malware removal" forum, looking for free repairs.

Now, what was it you wanted to discuss about the RIAA?

foreverzero89 said:

I agree about wiretaps. They've really brought an end to this thing of ours.

captaincranky said:

Now, what was it you wanted to discuss about the RIAA?

I want to discuss how we are losing internet rights under the pretense of needing to "restore order" to the internet. It's called the "protect IP act" seems like another patriot act type thing. Make it sound good but screw everyone over. It's kind of like making marijuana illegal by convincing the public that it makes blacks want to rape white women. There is a whole lot of wrong here and this really shouldn't turn into "free music thread" it should be a 'WTF HOW COULD US STUPID AMERICANS LET THIS HAPPEN?!?" thread. We keep digging ourselves deeper and all the attention that crysis article shows just how far gone we are. At this point I'm just waiting to see how bad it gets, I've already accepted that we are too far gone. Not as a government, but as a people.

What would you like to discuss?

I We keep digging ourselves deeper and all the attention that crysis article shows just how far gone we are. At this point I'm just waiting to see how bad it gets, I've already accepted that we are too far gone. Not as a government, but as a people
Ain't life a b****, it's simply not going to be as easy to "share" files in the future. Crysis is always the first thing on everybody's mind. I mean really, look ,how many people post, "the internet meme", "but will it play Crysis". just to hear themselves talk. I've said some things about that in the past, and I usually get told to "get a life,, or "I don't have a sense of humor.

As to internet rights, you've never actually had the right to pirate copyrighted material in the first place. So, you've got an uphill battle to explain exactly what rights of yours are being violated. Basically, a bunch of mouthy clowns in the torrent arena have, "awakened a sleeping giant", (as the Japanese admiral said of the Pearl Harbor Attack), and now we're all going to be under scrutiny.

The same people that are complaining about the RIAA and MPAA, are the same people that are usually bragging that they "stream everything", and are so dependent on the internet in the first place, that the copyright holders have them by the balls the minute they open their browser.

I'm going to Redbox, and you can go......

I'm so glad you provided me with the opportunity for this little chat, have a nice day..:)

But Captain, I live in [X], and we don't have Redbox. Aren't I forced to pirate movies?
My goodness, first it was Russia, now it's a place without a Redbox. You certainly have had more than your share of hardship, trials, and tribulations. Of course you can pirate a movie or three. In fact, make sure it's one I haven't seen. That way, you can tell me the ending and ruin it for me. It's the least I can do....;)

none of his is about pirating or anything like that, its bout the right to a free, open, and unregulated Internet, which i am all for. start blocking one thing, then the gov't will want to block more and more til you cant do $h!t on the internet besides look at how much we are controlled.

captaincranky said:

As to internet rights, you've never actually had the right to pirate copyrighted material in the first place. So, you've got an uphill battle to explain exactly what rights of yours are being violated.
I'm going to start this off with a quote from Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
I'd also like to note that I am against piracy and that quote had little to do with what you said personally, it's about how everyone has and should have a right to say anything they want

We aren't going to lose our rights all at once, it will happen slowly. If we are banning piracy sites to "protect us" then what else will be banned under the name of "protection." People have a right to say and look at what ever they want to. I certainly don't want the RIAA trying to "protect" us. I don't think they have our best interest in mind. The idea of censoring the internet in the US has been around for a long time now. This may not be censoring in the classic sense, but what else could it lead to?

If this passes then in the future people can point to it and say "if this is okay, then why isn't this." I am not aware of any internet censorship in the US. This is just one branch of the internet, what others do you think they would try to censor in years to come? I'm sure there are people in the media that a lot of senators would like to silence. Every other day I'm hearing about a scandal or someone's vote being bought.

It's not that I want to pirate things that makes me dislike this, it's that it could have far reaching effects way beyond piracy.

one final note, and this is something I keep telling people, it should be easier to get something legally than illegally. I'm sure if they embraced the internet as a distribution system(which it already is) piracy would see a sharp decline. People are lazy and don't want to have to fuss with redbox or returns, they just want to watch a movie. Instead of giving the people what they want they try to limit the peoples rights to get what they(the copyright owners) want.

Now, please, tell me why you are defending this.

I'm going to start this off with a quote from Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
I'd also like to note that I am against piracy and that quote had little to do with what you said personally, it's about how everyone has and should have a right to say anything they want

We aren't going to lose our rights all at once, it will happen slowly. If we are banning piracy sites to "protect us" then what else will be banned under the name of "protection." People have a right to say and look at what ever they want to. I certainly don't want the RIAA trying to "protect" us. I don't think they have our best interest in mind. The idea of censoring the internet in the US has been around for a long time now. This may not be censoring in the classic sense, but what else could it lead to?

If this passes then in the future people can point to it and say "if this is okay, then why isn't this." I am not aware of any internet censorship in the US. This is just one branch of the internet, what others do you think they would try to censor in years to come? I'm sure there are people in the media that a lot of senators would like to silence. Every other day I'm hearing about a scandal or someone's vote being bought.

It's not that I want to pirate things that makes me dislike this, it's that it could have far reaching effects way beyond piracy.

one final note, and this is something I keep telling people, it should be easier to get something legally than illegally. I'm sure if they embraced the internet as a distribution system(which it already is) piracy would see a sharp decline. People are lazy and don't want to have to fuss with redbox or returns, they just want to watch a movie. Instead of giving the people what they want they try to limit the peoples rights to get what they(the copyright owners) want.

Now, please, tell me why you are defending this.
First off, I'm not defending it. I even agree with Voltaire. Well, not as far as it extends to rap music. But then, nothing is actually being said there, so no harm, no foul.

Our loss of rights began with the signing of the US Constitution. At its heart, it's not much more than a template for setting up a government. All governments are by their nature, corrupt and oppressive. Ours is getting progressively worse in 2 year increments.

I'm constantly calling for boycotts against people like EA who now won't give you physical media for their games and what not. That said, I'm pretty much alone when I say things like this. Most people do some petty whining and go right back to doing business with them.

The vocal minority, who have to steal every possible CD, Movie, or game, whether they'll actually ever use it or not, are the most responsible for most of the RIAA, MPAA "successes".

Forever blabbering about bandwidth caps, because that would prevent them from stealing even more material. These ******* turn out to be the biggest trump card that media organizations can play to the courts. They're the loudest ones here at TS, and everywhere else. So, I can't stress it enough, a whole lot of people are bringing this on themselves.

How often on this type of thread does some mouthy a**h*** come blasting through here shouting, "I'm a pirate, and damned proud of it"? Too often, actually.

Every time any government passes any law, someone, somewhere, loses another "right".

The reason that actions like the MPAA joining with ISPs are successful, is exactly what I said earlier, because there isn't any legal reason why they can't. So they will.

I suppose we could all chip in and buy some federal judges of our own, but both you and I know, we couldn't convince people to join the fight. They're too busy either playing Crysis, or posting some BS about, "but will it play Crysis", to effect one iota of social change.

This is a generation that thinks it's entitled to everything by "default", without any personal effort expended, and there are bound to be some rude awakenings coming to it.

Back