Weekend tech reading: Project Spartan boosts IE's speed, can GameStop avoid Blockbuster's fate?

By Matthew
Jan 25, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. With the release of build 9926 of Windows 10, I have had some time to get to know the new build. One of the things discussed at the Windows 10 event in Redmond was an update to the browser, codenamed Project Spartan...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,379

About Spartan... this PR is very similar to all the previous ones, meaning they don't mean anything.

Couple things I find funny in that article...

1. The author is using the word "forking" everywhere, regarding the IE and Chrome JS engines. I know how quickly new words get into our language, but it's just bad writing, because at least 90% of their readers do not know what "forking" means, and they really don't need to know.

2. The part where Spartan outscores Chrome in pathetic 1 out of 6 tests should be in the beginning, so one can stop reading it right there. Spartan is all yet another joke around IE that will never come true, I.e. it won't find new users over Chrome.

IE will remain to be the primary tool for downloading and installing Chrome. That, plus the ubiquitous ignorance of the corporate market, of course.
    BMfan and wastedkill like this.
  3. @VitalyT, I think you may be a little biased in your post and still basing your opinions on the last time you probably used IE, which was probably the horror of 6. The only areas chrome has a significant advantage to spartan was with Oort online (who cares) and html 5 test???, testing a bunch of non-standards. Spartan is a pretty big upgrade to IE 11, and IE11 was not bad, and even better than chrome in some categories such as gpu rendering, page scrolling on heavy load pages and used less resources. I am not saying that it will be better than chrome or ff, but is almost dead even where it counts and even better in some areas.
  4. Not to mention that spartan outperforms chrome in two categories, huge increase in sunspider and a small increase in ocatane. It is lower by around 1% in Kraken