Weekend tech reading: Valve working on a "Steam Box" console?

By Matthew
Mar 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Exclusive: Valve said to be working on 'Steam Box' gaming console with partners, could announce at GDC Recently there's been chatter that Valve -- the company behind the massively popular gaming…

Read the whole story
  2. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

LOL @ "The Verge". That site is to tech news what Metro is to UIs - total FAIL. They almost make Engadget look good. Also, regarding the Steam console: if their planning such a thing its going to work like OnLive, not a proper console - I guarantee it.
  3. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

If they make it they should call it something like the Steam Engine.
  4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 879   +52

That was pretty ambitious for 1983.

Steam Engine would be an awesome name.
  5. penn919

penn919 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 137   +10

Well the only reason Onlive differentiates itself from its competitors is the fact that it caters itself towards those who can't afford a decent gaming rig and/or want to game on the go. A steam "console" would be no different than a PC, and presumably worse because you probably won't be allowed to upgrade without voiding the warranty. I don't see the point in that at all.
  6. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

I'm glad everyone read the article and noticed that it will actually just be a prebuilt computer. Oh wait, no one did that and resorted to making stuff up.
  7. penn919

penn919 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 137   +10

Dude, the title says "Valve said to be working on 'Steam Box' gaming console".
  8. ramonsterns

And the article says otherwise.
  9. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Oh valve, why do you hurt me by releasing no information on the fate of gordon freeman? The box is cute but if there's no half-life, it is useless to me.
  10. cocofireah

cocofireah Newcomer, in training

So that, actually juse be a prebuit computer.
  11. Here's hoping Half-Life 3 won't be a "Steam Box" exclusive...
  12. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 374   +73

People are taking this Steam console stuff way out of proportions and context that it's almost making me nauseous. Gabe said they would make hardware if they *needed to* in order to achieve or go forward with one of their *software projects* but that they **don't want to make hardware** and want to let the people who are good at it, be the ones making the hardware.

So what have we learned? Valve DOESN'T WANT to make hardware. But if they need to they will.
  13. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 873   +80

They said they are apparently going to use Intel CPU (i7 Sandy equiv) and Nvidia GPU for their Console.

14. ramonsterns

Oh, for ****s sake.

Did no one read the article?
  15. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

Too long, didn't read. Here's hoping Steam doesn't try selling pre-built computers with no upgrade capability.
  16. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 374   +73

On the Penny Arcade article where he originally made the comments about making hardware he also kind of indirectly stated that Half-Life's next installment is in development. He said something like "we don't want to say something then disappoint them" (by delaying the release) and that they basically will announce projects once they are more fully baked. And that response from Gabe was his reply to Ben's question regarding Half-Life 3.

I guess it'd be easier to understand if you go read the article. My paraphrasing isn't so great haha.
  17. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

While I still doubt the rumour, I don't see this particular point as a significant issue. Most people just don't upgrade. Consoles aren't upgradeable (except for disk space) and people are okay with this, and laptops also are not upgradeable (except for disk and RAM) and most people choose them over a desktop.

A console based on PC hardware might cost less than a comparable PC of that form factor, and be attractive for that. Given a console OS it will also provide better gaming performance than a PC with similar hardware. So the idea is not without merit.
  18. colinf

colinf Newcomer, in training Posts: 43   +7

then read it, you understand more
  19. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,259   +216

I've always thought there was a massive potential for a "consolized" PC platform. Standardize the hardware, lock into just a few resolutions (720 and 1080 probably), and streamline the OS for the gaming experience. Possibly modularize the hardware to allow for some easy incremental upgrades along the way (such as a GPU module).

I suppose something like Windows 8 could be molded to be an optimized quick-launch operating system, but it might be too clumsy to fit the simple gaming console concept. I have pondered a stripped down and customized Linux gaming build in the past, that could provide an "instant on" feel, would be able to portal to something like Steam as the default, and could still provide some of the basic HTPC functionality when desired (basically like the PS3 before they axed the "other OS" options)... Other than the whole issue of porting everything to Linux, that is. Bleh.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.