TechSpot

Weird Problem: can't read some DVD-R discs on DVD+-RW Drives

By stm
Oct 12, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    I could really use some input on a problem I recently discovered, 'cause I
    am stumped. I put into my DVD+-RW drive a DVD-R disc which I burned on this very same drive a few months back. This is a data disc full of MP3s and
    MPEG, AVI files. Unfortunately, the dvd+-rw drive couldnt read it. I am
    running Windows XP and went into My Computer and noticed that after
    inserting the disc the icon goes from saying "DVD-RW Drive (D:)" to saying "CD Drive (D:)" but it does not show any files on the disc. I went through my 100 DVD-R discs (all of them Maxell 4X) and found that 10 of them had this problem, whereas the other 90 DVD-R discs were ok. All of my DVD+R discs seemed to read fine.

However, these discs which my drive could not read all play fine on the standalone DVD player hooked up to my
    stereo.
    I took a couple of these problematic dvd-r discs to a computer store and noticed that none of the dvd+-rw drives there could read them, each one doing exactly what my own computer had done. But they all read fine on a DVD-ROM drives.

They let me copy a disc on one of the machines that had a DVD-ROM drive in one bay and a burner in the other, and I went home and found that the copy (on a DVD+R disc) read just fine on my computer.

This has all left me a bit puzzled.
    Why would the discs work on some drives and not work on others, including the one it was burned on ? Is there a possible explanation for this ? And why, if the problem has to do with writing to and reading from DVD-R media on a DVD+-RW drive, would only a few of my DVD-R discs give trouble and the rest work fine ? They were all burned the same way.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
  2. towlee

towlee TS Rookie

I have the same problem!!!! i can not do nothing about it :( ... some dvd discs apears in my pc as an empty cd while other pc or dvd players recognize the disc normaly... stm do u have any programs installed like any dvd ect for decoding dvds? i can not think of something else that causes the problem...but allthow i uninstalled these programs my pc keep facing the same problem...i don't know what is going on. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.